[comp.lang.modula3] Motif Widget Set Interfaces for Modula-3

dme@ely.cl.cam.ac.uk (David Evers) (03/27/91)

I'm considering constructing a Modula-3 interface to the Motif
widget set, in the style of libs/Xaw/X11R4/Xaw.i3 in the Modula-3
distribution from DEC SRC.  Before I re-invent the wheel, has
anyone out there already done this?  If so, could I have a copy?
If not, does anyone (eg. the SRC Modula-3 implementers) have the
awk script/sed script/bit of code/whatever that was used to generate
Xaw.i3 from /usr/include/Xaw/*.h ?  I can't believe it was done
entirely by hand... :-).

If Xm.i3 ever gets built, I'll try and make it available to the
net somehow (perhaps in a future SRC M3 distribution?).

Thanks,							---- Dave.

[David Evers                       Janet:  dme@uk.ac.cam.cl
 Computer Laboratory  (T76)        Inet:   dme%cl.cam.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
 University of Cambridge           UUnet:  ...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!cam-cl!dme
 Corn Exchange Street
 Cambridge CB2 3QG    U.K.         Phone:  +44 223 334639		  ]

muller@src.dec.com (Eric Muller) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar26.180834.29742@cl.cam.ac.uk>, dme@ely.cl.cam.ac.uk (David Evers) writes:

> I'm considering constructing a Modula-3 interface to the Motif
> widget set, in the style of libs/Xaw/X11R4/Xaw.i3 in the Modula-3
> distribution from DEC SRC.  Before I re-invent the wheel, has
> anyone out there already done this?

We started some work in that area, but we haven't had the time to
finish.

> If so, could I have a copy?
> If Xm.i3 ever gets built, I'll try and make it available to the
> net somehow (perhaps in a future SRC M3 distribution?).

There is a little problem of copyright. Theses interfaces are
basically translation in Modula-3 of Motif software; our current
understanding is that the original copyright applies to these
translations as well. (For the X interfaces, this was not a problem are
the copyright comes with a licence that allows redistribution).

We'll try to figure out the details there and follow-up to this
newsgroup with whatever we learn.

> If not, does anyone (eg. the SRC Modula-3 implementers) have the
> awk script/sed script/bit of code/whatever that was used to generate
> Xaw.i3 from /usr/include/Xaw/*.h ?  I can't believe it was done
> entirely by hand... :-).

Unfortunately, the X includes files are not clean enough to support a
near-complete automatic translation. If you look carefully, you will
discover that the Modula-3 bindings are more precise than the X
include files (that's one of the benefits of type checking).

--
Eric.