[comp.lang.modula3] M3 using gcc, anyone?

liam@dcs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts;) (06/18/91)

I'm trying to build version 1.6 of Modula-3 with the following configuration:
Sun 3, SunOS 4.1.1b, gcc 1.39.

It built fine with the native Sun C compiler, but won't build with gcc - the
m3compiler crashes. I haven't had much luck with the debuggers either.

Has anyone ported 1.6 to use gcc on any architecture? Any suggestions about an
architecture-specific thing that is so subtle it could differ between
different compilers on the same machine?

My goal, incidentally, is to bring up Modula-3 under Apple's version of UNIX
(A/UX) on our Mac II and IIcx machines.
--

% William Roberts                 Internet:  liam@dcs.qmw.ac.uk
% Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP:      liam@qmw-dcs.UUCP

lambert@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Michael H Lambert) (06/19/91)

In article <3383@redstar.dcs.qmw.ac.uk> liam@dcs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts;) writes:

>I'm trying to build version 1.6 of Modula-3 with the following configuration:
>Sun 3, SunOS 4.1.1b, gcc 1.39.
>
>It built fine with the native Sun C compiler, but won't build with gcc - the
>m3compiler crashes. I haven't had much luck with the debuggers either.
>
>Has anyone ported 1.6 to use gcc on any architecture? Any suggestions about an
>architecture-specific thing that is so subtle it could differ between
>different compilers on the same machine?

I was able to build version 1.6 of Modula-3 on a DECstation 3100 (RISC) using
gcc.  The OS was Ultrix 3.1.  I used gcc with the patches from the Open
Software Foundation.  At the moment, I don't recall whether I used version
1.37.1 or version 1.39.  I do know that I did not use OSF version 1.39.9, the
latest, as the compilation of Point.m3 leads to an internal compiler error.

I haven't tried debugging M3 code, either with gdb or dbx.  One additional
point:  it seemed necessray to configure the M3 build to use the standard
C preprocessor (/lib/cpp) rather than the GNU preprocessor.  The GNU version
occasionally exhibits strange behavior (at least I don't understand it) when
fed something other than C input.

Michael H. Lambert					+1 412 268-7037
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center			lambert@psc.edu