[comp.lang.modula3] Where are SRC sources?

sinner@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Ken E Sinner) (06/20/91)

Where can I get the SRC sources by anonymous ftp?
I would need the domain address and the directory?

Thanx.
ken

muller@src.dec.com (Eric Muller) (06/21/91)

> Where can I get the SRC sources by anonymous ftp?
> I would need the domain address and the directory?

Below is the annoucement for SRC Modula-3 1.6.  Please note that this
version implements the language described in the SRC Report #52.
Since that report, the language has been slightly modified (by the
so-called "Twelve Changes").  The book "System Programming with
Modula-3" describes the modified language.  We are working on a new
release that implements those changes.

                           SRC Modula-3
                           ------------

A new release, version 1.6, of the SRC Modula-3 compiler and runtime
are available now (March 28, 1991).  This is the fourth public release
of SRC Modula-3.  The system was developed at the DEC Systems Research
Center.  It is being distributed in source form (mostly Modula-3) and
is available for public ftp.  You must have a C compiler to build and
install the system.

NEW IN THIS RELEASE
-------------------

The primary changes since version 1.5 are:
   - many bugs are fixed (in particular, installation bugs)
   - additional library modules (more U**X bindings, pickles)
   - it is easier to build shared libraries (by default on IBMR2)
   - the system was ported to:
           SUN3 running SunOS
           Encore Multimax running UMAX 4.3 (R4.1.1)
	   Acorn R260 running RISC iX 1.21
     in addition to the previous ports:
           Apollo DN4500 running Domain/OS,
           IBM PC running AIX/PS2,
           IBM RT running IBM/4.3,
           IBM R6000 running AIX 3.1,
           HP 9000/300 running HP-UX 8.0
           VAX running Ultrix 3.1
           DECstation 3100 and 5100 running Ultrix 3.1
           SPARCstation running SunOS 4.0.3

DISTRIBUTION
------------

The system is available:
  - via anonymous ftp from 'gatekeeper.dec.com' [16.1.0.2],
  - via uucp from decwrl
  - via Easynet from  DECWRL

The SRC Modula-3 files are in '/pub/DEC/Modula-3'.  Those files include:

  % ls -R
  README             m3-1.6             report       comp.lang.modula3

  comp.lang.modula3:
  README   aug90.Z  dec90.Z  feb91.Z  jan91.Z  jun90.Z  may90.Z  oct90.Z
  apr90.Z  dec89.Z  feb90.Z  jan90.Z  jul90.Z  mar90.Z  nov90.Z  sep90.Z

  m3-1.6:
  README             dist-1.6.tar.Z-02  dist-1.6.tar.Z-05  dist-1.6.tar.Z-08
  dist-1.6.tar.Z     dist-1.6.tar.Z-03  dist-1.6.tar.Z-06  dist-1.6.tar.Z-09
  dist-1.6.tar.Z-01  dist-1.6.tar.Z-04  dist-1.6.tar.Z-07

  report:
  README        Report.ps.Z   Report1.ps.Z  Report2.ps.Z  Report3.ps.Z

The compressed tar file m3-1.6.tar.Z is about 4.6Mbytes.  The entire
system requires about 35Mbytes of disk space to build and install.

The system is also available via semi-anonymous UUCP from the Computer
and Information Science Department at Ohio State University, osu-cis
(there may be a small delay between the avaibility from the above
sources and the avaibility from osu-cis). The files are in the
directory '~/m3'. Here is a set L.sys or Systems file lines suitable
for contacting osu-cis via UUCP:

#
# Direct Trailblazer
#
osu-cis Any ACU 19200 1-614-292-5112 in:--in:--in: Uanon
#
# Direct V.32 (MNP 4)
# dead, dead, dead...sigh.
#
#osu-cis Any ACU 9600 1-614-292-1153 in:--in:--in: Uanon
#
# Micom port selector, at 1200, 2400, or 9600 bps.
# Replace ##'s below with 12, 24, or 96 (both speed and phone number).
#
osu-cis Any ACU ##00 1-614-292-31## "" \r\c Name? osu-cis nected \c GO \d\r\d\r\d\r in:--in:--in: Uanon

For information about acquiring Modula-3 by other means, please write to
	Pine Creek Software
	305 South Craig St.
	Suite 300
	Pittsburgh, PA 15213

CONDITIONS
----------

SRC Modula-3 is not a Digital Equipment Corporation product. It is a
research work which is provided ``as is''. We do not promise to fix
bugs, but we will try.

SRC Modula-3 is available without signing any license agreements.  If
you chose to sign the commercial license, you will be able to use SRC
Modula-3 commercially. See the documents that are included in the
release for more information.

WHAT IS SRC MODULA-3 ?
----------------------

SRC Modula-3 includes a user manual, compiler, runtime library, core
library, pretty-printer, and a few other goodies.  The libraries include
interfaces for X11R4, I/O streams, string functions, access to command line
arguments, random numbers, and operating system access.

The compiler generates C as an intermediate language and should be
fairly easy to port.  Except for the very lowest levels of the thread
implementation, the entire system is written in Modula-3.

KEEPING IN TOUCH
are forwarded to the newsgroup and to the members of the relay mailing
list.

If you want to communicate with us, please send your message to
	m3-request@src.dec.com

We may also be reached at:
	Systems Research Center
	130 Lytton Avenue