[comp.dcom.fax] Group 3 and Group 4 faxcards

raymond@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz (R P Wilson ) (01/16/91)

Can anybody fill me in on relevant information about and differences between
Group 3 and Group 4 faxcards?

Thanks heaps,
		Raymond Wilson.

--
Raymond Wilson.	email:	raymond@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
		snail:	c/- Computer Science Department,

hrs1@cbnewsi.att.com (herman.r.silbiger) (01/17/91)

In article <Wed_Jan_16_15:30:52_1991@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz>, raymond@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz (R P Wilson ) writes:

> Can anybody fill me in on relevant information about and differences between
> Group 3 and Group 4 faxcards?

I have not heard of the existence of any group 4 faxcards.

Herman Silbiger

oeschi@netmbx.UUCP (Johann Deutinger) (01/20/91)

In article <1991Jan17.015449.6383@cbnewsi.att.com> hrs1@cbnewsi.att.com (herman.r.silbiger) writes:
>In article <Wed_Jan_16_15:30:52_1991@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz>, raymond@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz (R P Wilson ) writes:
>>
>> Can anybody fill me in on relevant information about and differences between
>> Group 3 and Group 4 faxcards?
>
>I have not heard of the existence of any group 4 faxcards.
>
>Herman Silbiger

Most German ISDN-PC-card vendors support a software interface called
_common_isdn_api_. This covers the lower levels of the OSI model.

On top of this API at least one product here in Germany implements the
necessary higher levels of the Group 4 fax protocol (which is nearly
identical to the teletex protocol).

Some of the ISDN boards also can be combined with a Group 3 faxcard.
This is quite useful because doing only Group 4 would not make too
much sense in most cases.

  Hans

--
oeschi@netmbx.UUCP     | Johann Deutinger
voice +49 30 396 50 21 | Ferrari electronic GmbH (.. no, we don't sell cars)