[comp.dcom.fax] Sharp FO 215, my experiences : LONG

jon_sree@world.std.com (Jon Sreekanth) (01/21/91)

In article <4624@peyote.cactus.org> brisbin@peyote.cactus.org (Shelly Brisbin) writes:

   They were rude to me, and tried to sell me cases of fax paper at three times
   the price I was able to obtain at a local discount office products store.
   BCS' prices was $59 a case, while my local discounter offered the same peper for
   $18. Now we know why BCS has such low prices.

The paper is an interesting subject. I'd intended to buy paper anyway,
and the local store sells 2 98' rolls for $16. BCS has 6 rolls in their
$59 case. They tried to say that other types of paper would damage
the machine, but that's b.s.; most good quality paper will work fine.

I can see your point about them being rude. I talked to a rather surly
guy, who was making a great effort to stay polite. When I hesitated
on buying paper, he offered their $59 case for $49 ! Very curious
outfit they're running. My invoice now says $49.95, and their
ad says $59.00. I always thought you could get busted for that
kind of thing :-)

   When my order had not arrived after two weeks, I called BCS. You can't check

   make a second call to BCS to determine the status of the order. Again, I was
   treated rudely.

He called me the day after my order about a problem with my visa card
(the address on it is my home address, which does not match my company
address, which I wanted to ship to). He called me twice, I called back
on the 800 line, and finally his supervisor called, and she straightened
it out. I received the machine about 3 days after that.

I think some business product mail order companies are offshoots of
photo stores. (There are some photo stores that advertise fax machines
also, in Popular Photography). Mail order photo places are notorious
for rudeness or general unreliability; they seem to be a different
breed from PC mail order companies like PC Connection or such. BCS
seemed to have a more professional outlook, but not by a whole lot.

Regards,

/ Jon Sreekanth

Assabet Valley Microsystems			Fax and PC products
346 Lincoln St #722, Marlboro, MA 01752		508-562-0722
jon_sree@world.std.com

hrs1@cbnewsi.att.com (herman.r.silbiger) (01/22/91)

In article <JON_SREE.91Jan21094441@world.std.com>, jon_sree@world.std.com (Jon Sreekanth) writes:

> The paper is an interesting subject. I'd intended to buy paper anyway,
> and the local store sells 2 98' rolls for $16. BCS has 6 rolls in their
> $59 case. They tried to say that other types of paper would damage
> the machine, but that's b.s.; most good quality paper will work fine.

There are differences in fax paper as far as quality is concerned.  However,
this mainly affects the way the fax looks on the paper.  It should not matter
to the fax machine.

Herman Silbiger