[comp.dcom.fax] plain-paper FAX

diamant@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM (John Diamant) (02/06/91)

I would like to find out what is available in the market of plain-paper
FAX.  How expensive are these and what is the cheapest place to buy
them (mail order, I assume)?

I plan to check out the sources mentioned elsewhere in this group ("Fax
Buyer's Guide" and "Home and Office Fax Buyer's Guide") but before I do, I
just wanted to find out what's out there in general and if it's at all
price competitive with other types of FAX.  I'm aware that there are
some boards to turn computers into output-only FAXes using laser printers,
but I'm really looking for a standalone FAX machine.

Thanks in advance,

John Diamant
Software Engineering Systems Division
Hewlett Packard Co.		ARPA Internet: diamant@fc.hp.com
Fort Collins, CO		UUCP:  {hpfcla,hplabs}!hpfclp!diamant

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (02/07/91)

In article <17710001@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM> diamant@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM (John Diamant) writes:
>I would like to find out what is available in the market of plain-paper
>FAX.  How expensive are these and what is the cheapest place to buy
>them (mail order, I assume)?
>
>I plan to check out the sources mentioned elsewhere in this group ("Fax
>Buyer's Guide" and "Home and Office Fax Buyer's Guide") but before I do, I
>just wanted to find out what's out there in general and if it's at all
>price competitive with other types of FAX.  I'm aware that there are
>some boards to turn computers into output-only FAXes using laser printers,
>but I'm really looking for a standalone FAX machine.

   Plain paper faxes are on the expensive size and somewhat redundant if
you already have a laser printer. See the latest issue of PC Magazine
(may not be on the newstands yet) for a review of three devices that
attached to an hp laser printer and receive faxes to it for plain-paper
output. Even with a separate fax machine for standby and transmission,
it could be cheaper than a plain-paper model.