[comp.dcom.fax] Fax modems how to speak to them?

nicke@mizar.tde.lth.se (02/19/91)

	The subject says it. We have a telex  system that we would like to
extend with fax. First: are there any standard for fax modems? Second: Can I
send text to the modem, or do I have to send some graphic format? In which
format do incoming faxes come in?
	Any answers or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

tnixon@hayes.uucp (02/22/91)

In article <NICKE.91Feb18173153@mizar.tde.lth.se>,
nicke@mizar.tde.lth.se writes:

> 	The subject says it. We have a telex  system that we would like to
> extend with fax. First: are there any standard for fax modems? Second: Can I
> send text to the modem, or do I have to send some graphic format? In which
> format do incoming faxes come in?

Until recently, there was no standard interface to fax modems.  Each
manufacturer designed their own, based on the creativity and
ingenuity of their engineers (I'm thinking positively here!)
Unfortunately, this also meant that users were restricted to using
only the software that came with their modem, and it was very
difficult to write your own software to use a fax modem. The
industry recognized this as a problem that was holding back the
growth in sales of fax modems, and joined together in standards
committee TIA TR-29.2 to develop a series of fax modem command set
standards.

The first such standard, EIA/TIA-578, defines "Service Class 1" for
fax modems.  Class 1 provides the minimal, hardware-level support
necessary to send faxes -- Group 3 modulation schemes (V.21,
V.27ter, V.29), async-to-sync conversion, and HDLC framing.  All of
the Group 3 fax protocols and image processing must be done in the
PC software, which makes it difficult to support a Class 1 modem in
the background or in a multitasking environment.  It adds about 10
new AT commands to the modem.

The second standard, defining Service Class 2, is about to be
completed; I expect it to be adopted this summer.  It moves most of
the T.30 fax protocol processing out into the modem, freeing up the
computer from most time-critical processing.  This makes it much
easier to do fax support in a TSR, in background, on a multiuser or
multitasking system, or across a LAN.  It adds more than 40 new AT
commands to control all of the various parameters and protocols
associated with Group 3 fax.

Service Class 3, the next major task for the committee, is still far
away, controversial, and speculative.  There are significant
disagreements on the scope of this class of service.  Generally, it
is envisioned as moving much of the actual fax image processing from
the PC out to the modem, making the modem in effect an image
conversion co-processor.  The modem would understand particular data
file formats such as PCX, GIF, TIFF, RTF, HPCL, PostScript, and text
(or some of these); the application would basically just point the
Class 3 device at a file, and off it would go.  Again, remember that
this purely conjecture at this time, since the scope of the project
is not yet really defined.  It is not clear at this time whether
this level of service is even appropriate to be handled on a
"modem"; to me, it seems more like an API, with the division of
processing between the main CPU and the modem being ill-defined or
left up to the implementor.

To directly answer your questions, a program wishing to send a fax
using Class 1 or Class 2 fax commands must, at a minimum, convert
from text or graphic data into CCITT T.4 compressed image format,
which is also the format in which incoming data is received.

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-840-9200  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404