[comp.dcom.fax] FAX shared over a network?

beauchem@terre.DMI.USherb.CA (Denis Beauchemin) (03/08/91)

Hi there,

I am looking for a FAX card or an external unit that could be shared by a
whole network of Suns and PCs running PC-NFS (or something similar).

Is there any product that fits the description?  If so, are they reliable? Easy
to configure and use?  What is their cost?

Thanks for the answers!

Denis
--
=== Denis Beauchemin,  === beauchem@DMI.USherb.CA ===
=== Dir. R&D           ==============================

steve@jack.sns.com (J. Steven Harrison) (03/10/91)

In article <1991Mar8.034718.14049@DMI.USherb.CA> beauchem@terre.DMI.USherb.CA (Denis Beauchemin) writes:
>Hi there,
>
>I am looking for a FAX card or an external unit that could be shared by a
>whole network of Suns and PCs running PC-NFS (or something similar).
>
>Is there any product that fits the description?  If so, are they reliable? Easy
>to configure and use?  What is their cost?

There was some public domain software that was recently posted to the net
that was designed to accomplish this.

Also I saw a booth at a Sun Expo in San Jose about 8 months ago for a product
from a company in Kansas that accomplished this same thing.

I did keep a copy of the PD software.

--
Dr. J. Steven Harrison			{uunet,pyramid,pacbell}!jack!steve
Systems'n'Software

gallo@dtrc.dt.navy.mil (Gallo) (03/11/91)

<discussion of LAN-accessible fax>

Intel has shareware on their BBS which supports CAS-compatible
fax boards on a network. It only works for outgoing faxes.
If you have a CCP or SatisFAXtion board you can download from
their "Faxback" service at 800-525-3019. Otherwise, call the
BBS at 503-645-6275. <Chip>

flitter@atisun.dt.navy.mil (Lance Flitter) (03/12/91)

   I've been looking into the same thing.  I have a network of SUNs and
PCs here, using PC-NFS.  I think I'm going to use a SPARCstation IPC as
the FAX server.  There are several companies that make FAX products for
S-Bus machines:
	Helios Systems - (408) 432-0292
	Xecom          - (408) 945-6640
	Aurora Tech    - (617) 577-1288
Also,
	Antares Microsystems - (415) 965-4326  says they will be coming
	   out with something in the near future.

   From what I can tell, so far, you can send and recieve with these
products.  I don't know how they will work with PC-NFS yet.  I'm trying
to get more info.  If anyone has more info I'd like to hear it.

--
Lance Flitter -       David Taylor Research Center, USN
flitter@dtrc.dt.navy.mil