[comp.dcom.fax] Fax modems & TR-29 & UNIX driver source

worsley@manta.mel.dit.CSIRO.AU (Andrew Worsley) (03/18/91)

    I am interested in information about the latest version of the EIA TR-29
spec. I have a copy of the September '89 spec and a Fax Modem based on
the XR 2900 chipset. I am looking to write a driver for it more or less
from scratch and would like any help poeple can provide in following matters.
Yes I have looked at faxpak recently posted to comp.unix.sources and it
appears to be such a different modem that it is of little use.

   1. Does anyone have (or know how to get) a more recent version of the
specification. The EIA people say they have withdrawn it and will prehaps
release a public version late this year or early next!

   2. Has anyone written any C code for this spec (or closely related) one
which they are happy to give out? Or prehaps just strongly thinking of
doing something like this.

   3. Has anyone had experience of the XR 2900 chip set and its modems?
   Note mine is a clone of their of XR's local development kit by Maestro Inc.
   (available only in OZ in case its not obvious).

   4. Is anyone on the TR-29 committee that can comment on the progress of
the standards (if they can't release it at the moment).

   If there is any reponse to this as mail I will summarise to the net.

	Thanks
		Andrew Worsley
--
Division of Information Technology (Melbourne), Phone +61 3 347 8644
C.S.I.R.O.                                      Fax  +61 3 347 8987

tnixon@hayes.uucp (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar18.055613.28467@mel.dit.csiro.au>,
worsley@manta.mel.dit.CSIRO.AU (Andrew Worsley) writes:

>    1. Does anyone have (or know how to get) a more recent version of the
> specification. The EIA people say they have withdrawn it and will prehaps
> release a public version late this year or early next!

>    4. Is anyone on the TR-29 committee that can comment on the
> progress of the standards (if they can't release it at the moment).

I represent Hayes on TR-29 and its subcommittees.

The Class 1 standard is available as EIA/TIA-578, and is available
from EIA Standards Sales (202-457-4966).  The Class 2 draft
(SP-2388) was voted down last October, and has since been under
revision.  It is supposed to be going out for an internal committee
ballot again real soon (this month); if that ballot is successful,
then the draft will once again go out for industry ballot (as
SP-2388-A).  The soonest that will happen is June.  The ballot
period will be about three months, and publication takes about
another two months after that.  So, "late this year" is a good
estimate -- assuming all goes smoothly.

If you want to try to get a copy before then, you can contact the
chairman of TR-29.2 and get on his list of interested people; he may
be willing to send you a copy for review.  He is Joe Decuir of
Everex Systems, Inc., 2560 Ninth Street, Suite 220, Berkeley CA
94710, voice 415-486-2611, fax 415-845-5441, email
75410.3114@compuserve.com OR jdecuir@attmail.com.

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-840-9200  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404