[comp.dcom.fax] Superfine standard?

burgess@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Ken Burgess) (04/13/91)

I know that the T.4 protocol only specifies "normal" and "fine" resoloution,
but I was wondering if there is any "defacto" standard for higher
resoloution modes. Many manufactures of G3 equipment advertise Non Standard
Features that often include "superfine" resoloution. Is this at all
standardized? Have any of the vendors "agreed" on a higher resoloution
mode that is compatible between at least a few vendors?

How about a survey? What NSF resoloutions does "your" fax machine have?

We have a Panasonic UF-6005 that will do "super fine" at 203 X 391 ppi/lpi

E-mail model number and NSF res spec and I will post results...

Thanks,

Ken Burgess
burgess@hpfcla.hp.com

hrs1@cbnewsi.att.com (herman.r.silbiger) (04/15/91)

In article <100390001@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM>, burgess@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Ken Burgess) writes:

> I know that the T.4 protocol only specifies "normal" and "fine" resoloution,
> but I was wondering if there is any "defacto" standard for higher
> resoloution modes. Many manufactures of G3 equipment advertise Non Standard
> Features that often include "superfine" resoloution. Is this at all
> standardized? Have any of the vendors "agreed" on a higher resoloution
> mode that is compatible between at least a few vendors?

The superfine mode is obtained by doublestepping the scanner in the fine mode.
In order to get a higher resolution along the scan line you have to use a
scanner with that  capability.

Tje superfine mode may get standardized along with the new 200x200, 300x300
and 400x400 ppi resolutions by March 1992.

Herman Silbiger