[comp.dcom.fax] LAN FAX answers

gordon@cs.mcgill.ca (Gordon ROULEAU) (04/30/91)

The question:
>>       Like many university campuses, we find ourselves in the situation
>>where we want to integrate FAX sending with our existing SMTP infra-
>>structure, ie. use mail addresses of the form <phone-number>@fax.<domain>
>>and mail text files to the fax gateway.  This scheme allows us to either
>>send mail directly to the fax gateway or via a list server, just like any
>>regular mail.  The real problem is finding a supported commercial FAX
>>package that can receive SMTP mail and deal with phone numbers embedded
>>in addresses.  If anyone knows about such a product please let me know...

And...
        Although I've received several public domain answers, I'm going to
restrict this to commercial packages in the interest of not being too long
(well almost, Henry Minsky's netfax package sneeked in).  All the products
listed run on either a Sun, or a PC running Xenix and connected to a Sun
via rs232 cabling.

-------------------------------
>From: "Perry E. Metzger" <metzger@watson.ibm.com>
>
>You have no such need whatsoever.
>
>Any fax package that can be started automatically can be used with
>sendmail in the manner you describe. (I bet that similar tricks can be
>used for any other major mailer.)
>
>1. Add "fax.domain..." as an alias for your fax server machine in to
>   the domain databse.
>
>2. Add lines into your sendmail.cf on the fax server machine so that
>   it knows that mail addressed to "fax.domain..." should be passed to
>   a new mailer which you will create as a shell script.
>
>3. Write a simple shell script that does some access control, strips
>   appropriate headers, extracts the phone number from the To: line,
>   and sends the fax out with the command line your commercial fax
>   package wants.
>
>All told, this should take you no more than one hour to set up, most
>of that being spent hacking sendmail if you know nothing of sendmail.

I spoke with people at Computer Signal Corp., Perfect Byte, and The Bristol
Group; all have command line access to their packages.  CSC is sending me
their CD-ROM demo (see below).  --gord.

-------------------------------
>From: "Anthony A. Datri" <datri@concave.convex.com>
>
>The stuff from PerfectByte has this capability, but I've been having a
>bitch of a time trying to get their modem-interacting software to work.
>There's a company called Computer Signal Corporation that has a product
>that looks more attractive.  If you call 800-835-3365 they'll send you a
>free CD-ROM demo.

For those who haven't seen this already, the following provides a detailed
overview of products:

--
!...............  Gordon Rouleau    | Email: gordon@cc0.lan.mcgill.ca
................  Computing Centre  | Voice: (514) 398-3718