[comp.dcom.fax] FAXing pretty WP5.1 docs

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (12/17/90)

I need to decide on a FAX board for an MSDOS machine, where the
user uses Word Perfect to create documents.  Here's what I understand
so far...

If the user creates a document and prints it to disk using the HPII
printer driver, it will be saved as some sort of HP binary file (HPGL??).

Then, some program such as HIJAAK (the next version, due in 91) can be
used to convert the file to a bitmap and send it to the FAX card.

The goal, of course, is for pretty output with fonts of different sizes,
etc., to appear at the FAX machine at the other end.

HIJAAK offers one (real soon now) way of doing this.  What others
are there in the MSDOS world?
lee

scum@virtech.uucp (Steven C. Monroe) (12/19/90)

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) writes:

>I need to decide on a FAX board for an MSDOS machine, where the
>user uses Word Perfect to create documents.  Here's what I understand
>so far...

>HIJAAK offers one (real soon now) way of doing this.  What others
>are there in the MSDOS world?

I don't know what you mean by "real soon now".  I used this "feature"
over a year ago so I know it exists now.

Another alternative is a Postscript->G3FAX software/fax board from
a company called GammaLink.  I don't have the address handy but I
can get it from home if you need it.  Seems to to a real nice job.

Another alternative that is in the "real soon now" category would be
to run Wordperfect for Windows (this is the "real soon now" part) using
a driver called FaxIt! from Alien Computing.  It can handle several
different fax boards.  Address and contacts are the same, don't have
em handy, but, can bring 'em from home.

I must say that computer generated FAX output (as opposed to scanned
FAX input then output) can be quite impressive in quality, even though
you only have 200dpi.

>lee

Steve

--
Steven C. Monroe           (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.,
uunet!virtech!scum                              46030 Manekin Plaza, Suite 160

alberto@cs.umd.edu (Jose Alberto Fernandez R) (12/20/90)

   From: scum@virtech.uucp (Steven C. Monroe)
   Newsgroups: comp.dcom.fax
   Date: 19 Dec 90 13:33:42 GMT

   UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) writes:

   Another alternative is a Postscript->G3FAX software/fax board from
   a company called GammaLink.  I don't have the address handy but I
   can get it from home if you need it.  Seems to to a real nice job.

   Another alternative that is in the "real soon now" category would be
   to run Wordperfect for Windows (this is the "real soon now" part) using
   a driver called FaxIt! from Alien Computing.  It can handle several
   different fax boards.  Address and contacts are the same, don't have
   em handy, but, can bring 'em from home.

Im interested in this. I'm thinking in getting a FAX/Modem and I will
like to be able to send LaTeX dvi files. I can generate postscript
therefore it would be nice to be able to FAXit. By the way, is there
any dvi2fax program?

	Jose Alberto.
--
:/       \ Jose Alberto Fernandez R | INTERNET: alberto@cs.umd.edu
:| o   o | Dept. of Computer Sc.    | BITNET: alberto@cs.umd.edu

ralerche@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Robert A. Lerche) (05/06/91)

GammaLink
133 Caspian Ct.
Sunnyvale, CA  94089
(408) 744-1430

Their PostScript -> FAX program is called GammaScript.

When I used it (some time ago) it was available separately from their
boards (it doesn't actually _require_ their board; it converts
PostScript to a TIFF type 3 file which their driver software sends
directly).  It is well integrated with the software that drives their
board, though.