[comp.dcom.fax] Telex->Fax Gateway ?

keith@orbweb.spider.co.uk (Keith Mitchell) (05/22/91)

We currently have a Telex line that is hardly ever used, since
everybody uses fax these days, and while we could junk it, there are
still enough incoming telexes we don't want to lose that
started me thinking about cheaper alternatives to having our own line.

One thing that did occur to me is that it should be technically
feasible to have a telex->fax gateway, which automatically receives
telexes for our number (British Telecom tell me that re-direction is
now possible) and forwards them on to our fax number.

Has anybody heard of such a thing ? I know that there are gateways
between BT Gold and the various other commericial E-mail services
(yuk) to Fax and telex, and gateways from Telex to PSS/GNS/Tymnet
and Prestel, but is there one that goes directly ? If there is, how
much does it cost and how smart is it ?

We really don't want a mailbox on Gold/Prestel/ATTMAIL/Compuserve
etc. just for receiving Telexes, as we can't integrate it with
our existing e-mail, and someone would have to log in to
check if anything is there.

I am still waiting for some answers from BT and if I get them will
post them if anyone is interested, but I would be curious about
poeple's experiences of this.

Keith Mitchell                  (postmaster)
Computer Services

Spider Systems Ltd.             keith@spider.co.uk
Stanwell Street                 keith@uk.co.spider
Edinburgh  EH6 5NG              ...!uunet!mcsun!ukc!edcastle!spider!keith
Phone: 031-554 9424             zspz01@uk.ac.ed.castle
Fax:   031-554 0649		knm@uk.ac.ed.cs.tardis

tnixon@hayes.uucp (05/23/91)

In article <1991May22.154220.2138@spider.co.uk>,
keith@orbweb.spider.co.uk (Keith Mitchell) writes:

> We really don't want a mailbox on Gold/Prestel/ATTMAIL/Compuserve
> etc. just for receiving Telexes, as we can't integrate it with
> our existing e-mail, and someone would have to log in to
> check if anything is there.

This isn't true.  I have an account on AT&T Mail, but don't log into
it at all except to send messages.  Received messages are
automatically forwarded to my internet mail account (on our Vax at
Hayes), and are right there along with all of my internal VaxMail
and internet mail.  You could do exactly the same thing with
incoming telexes on AT&T Mail -- forward them to your regular email
account or to your fax machine, your choice.

The only "hitch" is changing your telex number.  I have no idea if
automatic forwarding is available from one telex number to another.

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-840-9200  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404