[comp.dcom.fax] looking for a ring director

buck@siswat.lonestar.org (Lester Buck) (05/20/91)

The new distinctive ringing phone service became available in Houston
in April and I had it installed at home, but I am having a terrible
time finding any ring director that can use it.  Distinctive ringing
is where software in the switch allows one physical line to have
several phone numbers.  The different phone numbers have different
ringing patterns.  The normal ring is long.  My two new numbers ring
as short-long-short and short-short.  A ring director is a box
that listens for each ring type and routes the call to a separate
output jack.  This way, the same physical line can share an answering
machine, a fax machine, and an incoming modem.  I am paying a total
of $6 more per month for two extra phone numbers.  Installation was
$2.75.

This is all great, except I can't find any ring directors!  The
phone company tells me they can't recommend any equipment.  I
saved a company name from John Dvorak's PC Mag column six months ago,
but have lost that now.  Hello, Direct, the phone equipment
mail order house, sells a $99 ring director that handles two numbers,
normal and long-long, which is useless for me.  Prometheus Products
tells me they plan on having their ring director for sale in about
60 days.  My cousin sells fax machines and portable phones here in
Houston, and all his contacts have come up dry.

Can anyone supply me with a list of companies that make ring directors?
I need one that handles three patterns, including short-long-short
and short-short.

Thanks alot!

--
A. Lester Buck    buck@siswat.lonestar.org  ...!uhnix1!lobster!siswat!buck

davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) (05/21/91)

buck@siswat.lonestar.org (Lester Buck) writes:

> The new distinctive ringing phone service became available in Houston
> in April and I had it installed at home, but I am having a terrible
> time finding any ring director that can use it.  Distinctive ringing

I have a piece of equipment that will, they say, detect the rings but
there isn't any ring phone service here.....

Contact: Doug MacGibbon
         Viking International
         2724 Summer Street N.E.
         Minneapolis, MN 55413
         U.S.A.
         Tel: +1-612-331-3823
         Fax: +1-612-331-3180

Hope that helps,

Dave

--
Dave McLane <davidg%aegis.or.jp> JUNET
            <davidg%aegis.or.kyoto-u.ac.jp> INTERNET

==== The Aegis Society =============================================
Minami Hirao 1-6, Imazato                 The content and process of
Nagaokakyo-shi, Kyoto-fu, 617 Japan           international/cultural
Tel: +81-75-951-1168 Fax: +81-75-957-1087             communication.

Dave McLane <davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp>

johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May20.141621.4207@siswat.lonestar.org> buck@siswat.lonestar.org (Lester Buck) writes:
>The new distinctive ringing phone service became available in Houston
>in April and I had it installed at home, but I am having a terrible
>time finding any ring director that can use it.  ...
>I am paying a total of $6 more per month for two extra phone numbers.

Gee, here in Massachusetts, I'm only paying $5.  To split out the three
phone numbers, I have an Autoline Plus from ITS of Endicott NY, phone
607 754 6310, which cost $82.79 plus $1.78 shipping.  It has a short cord
with an RJ-11 plug that plugs into the phone line, and three RJ-11 sockets
for the three devices.  I use it to split out voice (phone and answering
machine,) modem, and fax.  It works like a charm.

It also handles contention on outgoing calls.  If the line is in use by
one device, the others are shut off until the first one is done.
--
John R. Levine, IECC, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 492 3869
johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us, {ima|spdcc|world}!iecc!johnl