[comp.dcom.fax] best value/buy in a class 2 modem

cwm@sooner.palo-alto.ca.us (Chris Moore) (06/18/91)

i'm looking for suggestions on the best class 2 fax modem to purchase.
cost is my first criteria and then all the others in terms of quality,
etc.

any suggestions from those who have done this sort of comparision
would be appreciated.

thanks!

  - Chris

tnixon@hayes.uucp (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun17.175919.27756@sooner.palo-alto.ca.us>,
cwm@sooner.palo-alto.ca.us (Chris Moore) writes:

> i'm looking for suggestions on the best class 2 fax modem to purchase.
> cost is my first criteria and then all the others in terms of quality,
> etc.

I MUST caution you that the Class 2 standard is NOT YET COMPLETE.
Your FOREMOST criteria in selecting a modem should be a firm
commitment from the vendor to upgrade the modem's firmware to match
the standard when it is published!  Otherwise, you may have a modem
that is based on an early draft of the standard (and some companies
are selling these!), that will be incompatible with the vast
majority of the software that will be coming out for class 2 modems.

The standard will be completed within the next few months.  It will
go out for industry ballot in August, which should end in October,
and the standard should be published by the end of the year.  It
would be best if you could wait until then (you'll have many
additional choices, including Hayes, then) and but a modem that
claims compliance to the actual standard rather than a draft, but if
you can't then be sure your modem is going to be upgraded.

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-840-9200  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404

cwm@sooner.palo-alto.ca.us (Chris Moore) (06/19/91)

tnixon@hayes.uucp writes:
>In article <1991Jun17.175919.27756@sooner.palo-alto.ca.us>,
>cwm@sooner.palo-alto.ca.us (Chris Moore) writes:
>> i'm looking for suggestions on the best class 2 fax modem to ...

>I MUST caution you that the Class 2 standard is NOT YET COMPLETE.
>Your FOREMOST criteria in selecting a modem should be a firm
>commitment from the vendor to upgrade the modem's firmware to match
>the standard when it is published!  Otherwise, you may have a modem
>that is based on an early draft of the standard (and some companies
>are selling these!), that will be incompatible with the vast
>majority of the software that will be coming out for class 2 modems.

Okay -- I'd appreciate any recommendations considering this.  I need the
modem now and I'm not young enough to get into the waiting for standards
to be super-final-blessed-A#1 status before purchasing -- I'll take my
chances.

  - Chris

hhallika@zeus.calpoly.edu (Harold Hallikainen) (06/20/91)

	Am I reading the discussion on Class 2 Fax modems correctly
that these modems will accept an ascii command (such as the Hayes
AT set) and ascii text, call the remote fax machine and do all the
ascii to fax conversion for me?  If so, I'd be interested in
seeing such a device, either RS232 or, ideally, one that looks
like a serial port on an IBM XT bus.
	Thanks!
	Harold

--
Harold Hallikainen              ap621@Cleveland.Freenet.edu
Hallikainen & Friends, Inc.     hhallika@pan.calpoly.edu

sl@wimsey.bc.ca (Stuart Lynne) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun20.064640.149611@zeus.calpoly.edu> hhallika@zeus.calpoly.edu (Harold Hallikainen) writes:
}	Am I reading the discussion on Class 2 Fax modems correctly
}that these modems will accept an ascii command (such as the Hayes
}AT set) and ascii text, call the remote fax machine and do all the
}ascii to fax conversion for me?  If so, I'd be interested in

No, class 2 modems will not do rendering. That will be the domain of the proposed
class 3 modems.

--
Stuart Lynne	Computer Signal Corporation, Canada
		...!van-bc!sl 604-937-7785 604-937-7718(fax) sl@wimsey.bc.ca

tnixon@hayes.uucp (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun20.064640.149611@zeus.calpoly.edu>,
hhallika@zeus.calpoly.edu (Harold Hallikainen) writes:

> 	Am I reading the discussion on Class 2 Fax modems correctly
> that these modems will accept an ascii command (such as the Hayes
> AT set) and ascii text, call the remote fax machine and do all the
> ascii to fax conversion for me?

Nope, sorry.  What you're asking for there is a Class 3 feature.
Class 2 handles all of the fax protocol negotiation for you, but the
computer still needs to convert the data to CCITT T.4 compressed
image format itself.  Class 3 is envisioned to include data
conversion functions in the modem, at least for transmission --
things like text, PostScript, Epson emulation, HPCL emulation, etc.