[rec.pets.dogs] What is the origin of domestic dogs?

greg@garnet.berkeley.edu (Greg Kuperberg) (12/23/90)

What is the parent species of the domestic dog?  If I understand correctly,
Canis Familiaris is designated a separate species because it has a separate
habitat, not because it is separated from the rest of Canis by a genetic
inability to breed.  Thus, there should be at least one other species with
which the domestic dog can intermingle freely.  Is the gray wolf such a
species?  Is it the sole genetic brother of the dog, or can the dog also
intermingle with some other species of wolf or fox?

When and where did Homo Sapiens first domesticate dogs?

Please send a copy of your reply by e-mail.  Thanks in advance.
----
Greg Kuperberg
greg@math.berkeley.edu

szabo@crg5.UUCP (Nick Szabo) (01/06/91)

In article <1990Dec23.055209.7722@agate.berkeley.edu> greg@math.berkeley.edu writes:
>What is the parent species of the domestic dog?  If I understand correctly,
>Canis Familiaris is designated a separate species because it has a separate
>habitat, not because it is separated from the rest of Canis by a genetic
>inability to breed.

Is the definition of species "genetic inability to breed" or "practical
inability to breed"?  I doubt a chihuahua (assuming it could survive
in the wild) would mate with a wolf, regardless of genetic or developmental
compatability.

--
Nick Szabo			szabo@sequent.com
"If you want oil, drill lots of wells" -- J. Paul Getty