rcpieter@svin02.info.win.tue.nl (Tiggr) (12/01/90)

Welcome to comp.sys.acorn!

Tiggr

lester@suphys.physics.su.OZ.AU (K R Lester) (12/03/90)

In article <1613@svin02.info.win.tue.nl> rcpieter@svin02.info.win.tue.nl (Tiggr) writes:
>Welcome to comp.sys.acorn!
>
>Tiggr

Yipeeeee!!!!!
Sorry couldn't resist. What a _Wonderful_ section, I can already visualise
the thousands of excellent articles that will flood into this section,
so I'd better start thinking hadn't we!

I have to admit I thought that words like BBC and ARC were to be forever
shunned from this grand world. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe.
I've been attempting to get people to listen to be about the power
of the Arc (unfortunately I don't have one yet) and the interface
capabilities of the BBC which even now is still an impressive machine
(to me anyway). I know in the UK (from whence I originally hail - and sleet
and snow and rain) that the Arc (and Beeb) are used in scientific
institutions for serious purposes, but will anyone listen. Nah!
Oh well, one can only keep trying.
I am currently  surrounded by computers of all descriptions eg PDP's,
sparcs, genuine IBMs!! VAXes etc ,but nary an Arc among them, mind you
a couple of beebs at home tho'.
(Incidentally I believe that the Sinclair QL is quite a good machine
despite its handicap of coming from the Sinclair stable so why
don't you users, if you exist drag the Quantum Leap from alt.folklore
and make your own section. QL is rather an unfortunate name if you're
a physicist incidentally since it is the smallest possible leap!!???)

Anyway back to the point. I'm waiting to see what the new ARM III
will be like - and the unix box to go with it perhaps.
Can the unix workstations Rxxx run RiscOs, I hope so.
regards
	Kim