 From dhmyrdal@solan.unit.no Thu Dec  6 07:07:24 1990
 From: Dag H}kon Myrdal <dhmyrdal@solan.unit.no>
To: dave@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Dave Rasmussen)
Subject: Re: Please describe acorn machines

>From your letter, I guess you have a brief knowledge of the Archimedes
A310...
Since the launch of that machine, the A3000 (an amiga500-killer),
the A400-series (much the same as A300, but can be upgraded easier),
the R140 (UNIX-box, with hires mono monitor, the same hardware as A4XX)
has appeared.

Also, the OS have changed considerably, making a *very* good GUI with
cooperative multitasking, and with the option of going into CLI-mode
when this is convenient (by pressing ctrl-alt-f12). Acorn have made
available an extensive range of printer-drivers and a font-manager which
is rather quick, and uses outline-fonts... All these, and a lot of other
niceties can be shared by any application.

And that's *not* everything! This summer, two new Unix-machines was
launched: the R225 and R260 - with the new 30MHz ARM3 processor, on-chip
cache... I've included some details below (from a letter to me from
Acorn)  You can now get A540, which has the same hardware
spec. as R260, but without UNIX, and  ~GBP1500 cheaper...

-------------from letter to me from John Bowler -------------
>From john@acorn.co.uk Wed Jun 20 14:22:39 1990

> I read about the two new machines in your answer. Could you
> give more details about them?

Basically the hardware is similar to the R140 execpt for:-

	ARM3 cpu
	Expandable memory (4-16Mbyte)
	SCSI disc interface (R260) + 100Mbyte disc
	(or) no disc interface (R225)

Changes to the electronics (plus the ARM3 cpu) also allow ``Super VGA''
(800x600) screen modes and a 640x480 (VGA) 8 bit per pixel mode.  There
will be a new release of RISC iX (1.2) (which will also be available to
existing R140 users) which will give new things like a Motif based
toolkit and X/Open compatibility - although the new screen modes will
not be available on the R140.

[...]

> Also, will new machines continue to use the same casing, power supply
> and so on? [...]

The case is the same (as the A440 case), however there is a new power
supply.  I don't think it likely that an upgrade will be offered (by anyone)
because almost everything would be changed.

--
Dave Rasmussen - Systems Programmer/Manager, UW-Milwaukee Computing Svcs Div.
Internet:dave@uwm.edu, Uucp:uwm!dave, Bitnet:dave%uwm.edu@INTERBIT