[comp.sys.acorn] ELVIS on the Archimedes anyone?

cloader@kean.ucs.mun.ca (12/08/90)

Has anyone done a port of ELVIS .. vi clone to the Archimedes.

I ask because I use vi on UNIX and MSDOS at work but !edit
at home.  There are times when I wish I could use vi at home
if only to save confusion.

Charles Loader
Memorial University
charles@munucs.ucs.mun.ca

gtoal@tharr.UUCP (Graham Toal) (12/15/90)

In article <27601FD3.6C20@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>According to bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker):
>> I most adamantly protest this notion - whatever
>> the outcome of the vote, I will keep feeding
>> unix-pc, and crossposting everything. I recommend
>> this to everyone on general principles.
>
>Before anyone takes Mr. Becker seriously, remember that he also
>"adamantly protested" the rmgroup of alt.swedish.chef.bork.bork.bork.
>
>For some reason, the phrase "Consider the source" comes to mind.
>--

[Mr. Becker, please do not take the following as a flame - this is intended to
be constructive in nature - i.e. I'm not sitting here spewing steam or
anything.]

[I post this because I think Mr. Becker is not the only one who needs to hear
this.  Just whoooooo could that/they be, you ask? ;-)]

I guess I do take Mr. Becker seriously in one sense.  His approach makes
things go less smoothly than they could.

Bruce's attitude is representative of the inherent problem in causing groups
to actually go away despite rmgroup'ing.  I wish we had a purely technical
solution to the problem, but we don't.  We must rely on cooperation.  It would
be better if Bruce would simply "get with theprogram" and be willing to abide
by the "wave of opinion", even if it is not consistent with the view he holds.

To Bruce/others sharing his view:

You must be willing to take the losses with the wins.  Argue your side the
best you can - but STAY WITH THE ARGUMENT.  Please don't inject such "If I
lose I won't play anymore" phrases into things.  It is detrimental to the
argument(s) on both sides, as it takes focus off the subject at hand and moves
the parties into "dig the heels in" mode.  We then run the risk of making
poorer decisions, because it becomes "us vs. them" instead of "is it the right
thing to do?".

As long as your inputs are percieved as constructive in intent, they are
valuable and deserve consideration.  Please do your best to make them so.
I'm sure you have (and will have) many ideas that are of value to us all.
It would be a shame to see them ignored.

Believe you me, I'm Mr. Argument if you ever ran into him.  I'll fight for my
position VERY strongly at times.  But when it's over, I know (I hope) how to
live with it and move on.  And I (try to) never take it personally (this is a
key lesson in life, I think!).

[Whoops!  For a second there, I was drifting back into Philosophy 101 mode.
Better quit before I drift too far! :-)]

Rick

Rick McCarty					  12501 Research Boulevard
Texas Instruments Incorporated                    P.O. Box 149149, MS 2227
Information Technology Group                      Austin, Texas  78714-9149
mccarty@aaet.csc.ti.com                           (512) 250-4108