[comp.sys.acorn] ARM specs

cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Collin Broad Douglas) (12/18/90)

   I was wondering if anyone had infomation about the ARM chips and the
Acorn computers.  They sounds really interesting but I've been unable to get
some really good info (about the OS, hardwar etc.)  I've got a general idea
of how well the A310 performs (from a friend) but I'd like more information
such as:

Graphics modes
sound capabilities
OS capabilities (multitasking, GUI, CLI etc)

Are there different versions of the ARM chip?

Thanks in advance.

--
  Collin Douglas                  |  "We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt
                                  |   and uncertainty."
  cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  |
  America Online:  CollinD        |   -Douglas Adams from Hitchhiker's Guide

asmith@acorn.co.uk (Andy Smith) (12/20/90)

In article <1990Dec18.070050.5024@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Collin Broad Douglas) writes:

>   I was wondering if anyone had infomation about the ARM chips and the
>Acorn computers.  They sounds really interesting but I've been unable to get
>some really good info (about the OS, hardwar etc.)  I've got a general idea
>of how well the A310 performs (from a friend) but I'd like more information
>such as:
>
>Graphics modes

The Arc has a number of built in graphics modes, but with a little bit of
effort you can design your own. You have the choice of 1, 2, 4 or 8 Bits per
pixel. 4096 colour look up palette (giving upto 256 colours on screen). upto
24Mhz pixel rate, giving very high res mono support.

>sound capabilities

8 channel stereo sound, again provided by VIDC.

>OS capabilities (multitasking, GUI, CLI etc)

RISCOS is semi-multi tasking from the WIMP desktop. The filers do not multi
task. There is also a CLI, which is single tasking. RISCiX is UNIX.

>Are there different versions of the ARM chip?

Yes, there are currently 3 different ARM chips, designed by our brilliant
VLSI guys.

ARM 2 - the core of the current Arc range.
ARM 2aS - the core of the ABC.
ARM 3 - the core of the Arc 540, the R225 and R260

Future ARMs will be designed by the newly formed ARM ltd.

>Thanks in advance.

Your welcome,

Andy