[comp.sys.acorn] binaries discussion

Albert.Koelmans@newcastle.ac.uk (Albert Koelmans) (12/17/90)

I am posting the following message on behalf of Neil Moss. Comments Anyone?

I've been reading the discussion in c.s.a about the posting of binaries.
I have no newsfeed access, save an FTP server in the states which archives
it. As such, I can't read e.m.a. If as one person proposed, e.m.a. be kept
for binaries and c.s.a for discussion, I'm going to miss out, along with
all the other Americans. I don't suppose many people are in this situation,
but if you could raise this point in c.s.a, I'd be grateful.

This wouldn't matter at all if there is an FTP server which archives
eunet news. Whilst I'm at Uni, this doesn't matter, as I can use the
info-server, but I won't be here forever.

JANET:  Albert.Koelmans@uk.ac.newcastle
UUCP:   ...!ukc!newcastle.ac.uk!Albert.Koelmans
Computing Laboratory, University of Newcastle upon Tyne,
Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU, UK (telephone +44 091-2228155,fax 2228232)

mathew@mantis.co.uk (mathew) (12/18/90)

Albert.Koelmans@newcastle.ac.uk (Albert Koelmans) writes:
> I am posting the following message on behalf of Neil Moss. Comments Anyone?
>
> I've been reading the discussion in c.s.a about the posting of binaries.
> I have no newsfeed access, save an FTP server in the states which archives
> it. As such, I can't read e.m.a. If as one person proposed, e.m.a. be kept
> for binaries and c.s.a for discussion, I'm going to miss out, along with
> all the other Americans. I don't suppose many people are in this situation,
> but if you could raise this point in c.s.a, I'd be grateful.

Well, since I'm one of the people who's suggested it, I suppose I'd
better answer.

I suggest that you campaign for a comp.binaries.acorn. If there are
sufficient US Archie users to justify it, then it will be created.
Otherwise, I'm afraid you're asking people to break with Usenet
traditions and guidelines in order to increase propagation.

Such arguments occur every few months; the classic example is the
sci.aquaria fiasco, where people said "We don't get rec groups, so
post all your aquaria discussions in a sci group". This suggestion
was not met with a great deal of support. I suspect that "We don't
get eunet groups, so post all your binaries in a discussion group"
will be similarly unpopular.

I suggest again that eunet.micro.acorn be redesignated a binaries
group, and comp.sys.acorn used for discussions. (Perhaps we could
even rename eunet.micro.acorn as eunet.binaries.acorn, to make things
clear?)

> This wouldn't matter at all if there is an FTP server which archives
> eunet news. Whilst I'm at Uni, this doesn't matter, as I can use the
> info-server, but I won't be here forever.

You have mail, do you not? I assume therefore that you can access the
Lancs PDSOFT archives and get your binaries that way.

mathew.
--
Mantis Consultants, Unit 56, St. John's Innovation Centre, Cambridge. CB4 4WS.
mathew@mantis.co.uk \\ "CP/M is to metric as cockroaches are to a Timex watch"

cloader@kean.ucs.mun.ca (12/21/90)

In article <NJkDu6w163w@mantis.co.uk>, mathew@mantis.co.uk (mathew) writes:
> Albert.Koelmans@newcastle.ac.uk (Albert Koelmans) writes:
>> I am posting the following message on behalf of Neil Moss. Comments Anyone?
>>
>> I've been reading the discussion in c.s.a about the posting of binaries.
>> I have no newsfeed access, save an FTP server in the states which archives
>> it. As such, I can't read e.m.a. If as one person proposed, e.m.a. be kept
>> for binaries and c.s.a for discussion, I'm going to miss out, along with
>> all the other Americans. I don't suppose many people are in this situation,
>> but if you could raise this point in c.s.a, I'd be grateful.
>
> Well, since I'm one of the people who's suggested it, I suppose I'd
> better answer.
>
> I suggest that you campaign for a comp.binaries.acorn. If there are
> sufficient US Archie users to justify it, then it will be created.

Most people in NORTH AMERICA (this is Candada) not get eunet!  We get
it here but can't post to it.

>> This wouldn't matter at all if there is an FTP server which archives
>> eunet news. Whilst I'm at Uni, this doesn't matter, as I can use the
>> info-server, but I won't be here forever.
>
> You have mail, do you not? I assume therefore that you can access the
> Lancs PDSOFT archives and get your binaries that way.

Try at I might I have never got anything other than HELP files ...
and long silence.

> mathew.
> --
> Mantis Consultants, Unit 56, St. John's Innovation Centre, Cambridge. CB4 4WS.
> mathew@mantis.co.uk \\ "CP/M is to metric as cockroaches are to a Timex watch"
Charles Loader
Memorial University, St. John's, Newfoundland
charles@munucs.ucs.mun.ca