[comp.sys.acorn] 6502 emulator running *Elite*!

gtoal@tharr.UUCP (Graham Toal) (12/17/90)

I saw a sneak preview of a *new* 6502 emulator last week, -- not by
Acorn, but I've been asked not to say by whom yet -- which is really
superb: runs much faster than the Acorn one -- and *faster* than the
BBC itself by a large chunk!

The great thing is though that it has a command to configure the screen
so that some part of it emulates one mode and the rest downwards emulates
another.  Why would you want this strange behaviour? ... you got it --
*Elite* :-)  Only problem is its a little fast :-)

Here's a vote from a Beeb fan to the author of the new emulator to get
it out as soon as possible.  I'm dying to play elite again...

(* Posted from tharr.uucp - Public Access Unix - +44 (234) 261804 *)

chughes@maths.tcd.ie (Conrad Hughes) (12/18/90)

In <1513@tharr.UUCP> gtoal@tharr.UUCP (Graham Toal) writes:

>I saw a sneak preview of a *new* 6502 emulator last week, -- not by
>Acorn, but I've been asked not to say by whom yet -- which is really
>superb: runs much faster than the Acorn one -- and *faster* than the
>BBC itself by a large chunk!

I've heard about such things too; problem is (so I'm told) that Acorn aren't
all that anxious to give the authors rights to the Beeb ROM; similarly an
emulator for the Sinclair Spectrum ran into trouble because of Amstrad, who
own the rights to those ROMs... Do you know if Acorn have changed their mind
on the subject?

Conrad
--
experience teaches silence terrifies people the most - Bob Dylan
Disclaimer: Opinions, when given, are my own.

torbenm@freke.diku.dk (Torben [gidius Mogensen) (12/18/90)

chughes@maths.tcd.ie (Conrad Hughes) writes:

>In <1513@tharr.UUCP> gtoal@tharr.UUCP (Graham Toal) writes:

>>I saw a sneak preview of a *new* 6502 emulator last week, -- not by
>>Acorn, but I've been asked not to say by whom yet -- which is really
>>superb: runs much faster than the Acorn one -- and *faster* than the
>>BBC itself by a large chunk!

>I've heard about such things too; problem is (so I'm told) that Acorn aren't
>all that anxious to give the authors rights to the Beeb ROM; similarly an
>emulator for the Sinclair Spectrum ran into trouble because of Amstrad, who
>own the rights to those ROMs... Do you know if Acorn have changed their mind
>on the subject?

There is a solution to that problem. Since Acorns 6502 emulator is
supplied on the Welcome disks, The ROM images are available to all. It
should be possible (and not too difficult) to write an install program
that extracts these images from the Welcome disks and the new
simulator from the installation disk to produce an application
directory, which can be copied to the work disk.

Thus, the simulator need not be supplied with the ROM images. This is
similar to Mac portable clones not being supplied with ROMS - you
extract the roms from your stationary Mac, and install them in your
portable.

Torben Mogensen (torbenm@diku.dk)

banksie@whitu.isor.vuw.ac.nz (Philip Banks) (12/23/90)

In article <1513@tharr.UUCP>, gtoal@tharr.UUCP (Graham Toal) writes:

|>I saw a sneak preview of a *new* 6502 emulator last week, -- not by
|>Acorn, but I've been asked not to say by whom yet -- which is really
|>superb: runs much faster than the Acorn one -- and *faster* than the
|>BBC itself by a large chunk!
|>
|>The great thing is though that it has a command to configure the screen
|>so that some part of it emulates one mode and the rest downwards emulates
|>another.  Why would you want this strange behaviour? ... you got it --
|>*Elite* :-)  Only problem is its a little fast :-)
|>
|>Here's a vote from a Beeb fan to the author of the new emulator to get
|>it out as soon as possible.  I'm dying to play elite again...

	  Yes do hurry up! I am also missing elite *very* badly. Especially
	when UIM is *no* susbtitue....

*-----------------------------------------------------------------*   @@@@@@/|
|   BANKSie! (aka Philip Banks) banksie@isor.vuw.ac.nz            |   @@@@@/#|
|      An Arc owner stuck in a non Arc spot.                      |   @@@@/##|
|  Well you try drawing the Arc Symbol in Ascii 'Graphics'!       |   @@@/---|
*-----------------------------------------------------------------*   @@/    |

kvj@rhi.hi.is (Kristjan Valur Jonsson) (12/27/90)

In <1990Dec23.014036.22933@comp.vuw.ac.nz> banksie@whitu.isor.vuw.ac.nz (Philip Banks) writes:

>	  Yes do hurry up! I am also missing elite *very* badly. Especially
>	when UIM is *no* susbtitue....

Has anyone heard any news on Kharma,  which is said to be to the Arc what
Elite was to the beep?

>*-----------------------------------------------------------------*   @@@@@@/|
>|   BANKSie! (aka Philip Banks) banksie@isor.vuw.ac.nz            |   @@@@@/#|
>|      An Arc owner stuck in a non Arc spot.                      |   @@@@/##|
>|  Well you try drawing the Arc Symbol in Ascii 'Graphics'!       |   @@@/---|
>*--------------------

Kristjan Valur Jonsson

banksie@whitu.isor.vuw.ac.nz (Philip Banks) (12/29/90)

|>Has anyone heard any news on Kharma,  which is said to be to the Arc what
|>Elite was to the beep?
|>
|>Kristjan Valur Jonsson
	  The news I heard was in an A&B article that said that the programmers
	had at long last completed about 90% of the work required and they expect
	to release it soon. I hope however that the graphics are upgraded from the
	sample screen shots shown as they looked *very* IBMish like about CGA
	IBMish...