[comp.sys.acorn] Replies to comments about Rap comms program.

patrick@sideways.gen.nz (Pat Cain) (01/07/91)

kebera@alzabo.uucp (Krishna E. Bera) writes:
> Has anyone ported the complete Zoo archiver programs to
> the Archimedes? !Spark is pretty much unheard of on this continent.
> I believe Booz, the small decode-only version of Zoo, works
> on the Archimedes. It would be nice to be able to use the same
> archiver on all systems, and Zoo is probably the most portable.

I agree.  Using Zoo would be better given that the source code
is public domain.  Zoo is of course the archive method used in
the main binaries group comp.binaries.ibm.pc.

The problem with Zoo, Arc and Zip is that by default they only
store the date, filelength and filename.
Whereas !Spark stores filetypes and other stuff required.

- Has any one managed to produce a version of Zoo, Arc or Zip
  that stores filetype/exec/load addresses and yet still is
  compatible with the standard archivers?  Perhaps for each Archimedes
  file, two files could be stored in the archive - one containing
  the actual file and the other containing the filetype details.
  This would mean that archives could be uudecoded and viewed by
  people on Unix or Dos systems.
---

thsa@rhi.hi.is (Thorvaldur S Arnarson) writes:

> Don't get me wrong, I do not object to posting shareware to
> the net but a human readable part of the posting has to indicate so!

The posting did indicate that the software was shareware.  I cannot
see how you could have missed this.  Here are the first two lines
of the message:

        Subject: !RAP - part 1 of 3
        From: patrick@sideways.gen.nz (Pat Cain)
        Date: Fri, 21 Dec 90 17:30:14 NZD

        This is a shareware communications program written for the Archimedes
        by David Caughley of Wellington, New Zealand.

> When I saw the posting I thought it would be a substitute to
> the dreaded Pilling-Hearsay (Still the closest I can get to a
> decent coms package, haven't seen the latest ARC-term) but I was
> greatly dismayed at seeing the thing in the flesh.
> Whereas this is not free software (yes, read the info bit) I
> feel free to say it was not worth the time it took to upload.
> The name of the author and program are constantly underlaid
> in big (not at all friendly) letters on the background of the
> terminal-window, what a strange attempt at publishing one's
> name.

I realise the author's name is rather obvious.  I asked him
to remove it but he does not wish to do so.  I personally
use a PC for comms as I find it better for that purpose.

Rap is a reasonable comms program, not commercial quality
but certainly okay for calling bulletin boards.  If you already
have a commercial package that you are satisfied with then I
can't see what you are complaining about - you aren't being
forced to use Rap.

It is shareware, meaning that you aren't breaking any laws by
using it.  Sending in a donation to the author is optional ---
if you don't like RAP and aren't interested in any of the
other programs the author has to offer (for example he
has been writing some interesting ray tracing programs since
then - have you tried his program 'POSTER' by Formation?)
then don't send in a donation.

For those honest people who do not want to shell out money on a
commericial comms package, packages like Rap let them try
out a comms package.  If they like Rap then they can stick
with it and optionally send some money to the author.  Or
they can go and buy a commercial package.

I am about to post another shareware program by someone
else here, it is quite different from Rap.  Try it if you
like.

--
Patrick Cain, Private Box 2060, Wellington, New Zealand.

Sideways     - New Zealand's BBC and Archimedes Bulletin Board
+64 4 661231 - free access, Fidonet and Usenet.

thsa@rhi.hi.is (Thorvaldur S Arnarson) (01/07/91)

|thsa@rhi.hi.is (Thorvaldur S Arnarson) writes:
|
|> Don't get me wrong, I do not object to posting shareware to
|> the net but a human readable part of the posting has to indicate so!
|
|The posting did indicate that the software was shareware.  I cannot
|see how you could have missed this.  Here are the first two lines
|of the message:
Ok I goofed.
|Rap is a reasonable comms program, not commercial quality
|but certainly okay for calling bulletin boards.  If you already
|have a commercial package that you are satisfied with then I
|can't see what you are complaining about - you aren't being
|forced to use Rap.
|
|It is shareware, meaning that you aren't breaking any laws by
|using it.  Sending in a donation to the author is optional ---
The Info part of the program expicitly states conditions
of use wich include sending a "donation"

|if you don't like RAP and aren't interested in any of the
|other programs the author has to offer (for example he
|has been writing some interesting ray tracing programs since
|then - have you tried his program 'POSTER' by Formation?)
|then don't send in a donation.

I've seen poster and it's very good, strange how the same progammer
can have such wildly different styles.  Poster is comercial!

|I am about to post another shareware program by someone
|else here, it is quite different from Rap.  Try it if you
|like.

I will!

--
  Regards,