[comp.sys.acorn] How can i access Lancs Pdsoft?

gpvos@cs.vu.nl (Gerben 'P' Vos) (01/03/91)

Every now and then, someone mentions the Lancs PDSOFT archives.
Can anyone tell me how to access these?

-					Gerben
--
--- Gerben Vos - Aconet: BIGBEN!Gerben Vos - Internet: gpvos@cs.vu.nl
"While you are here, your wives and girlfriends are dating handsome American

vac122g@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Daniel Bowen) (01/05/91)

In article <8631@star.cs.vu.nl>, gpvos@cs.vu.nl (Gerben 'P' Vos) writes:
> Every now and then, someone mentions the Lancs PDSOFT archives.
> Can anyone tell me how to access these?

FTP access is only available on Janet. To get stuff from outside
Janet (ie Internet), you will have to use the archive request
server.

This is also normally available only on Janet; what you'll have to
do is mail pdsoft@pdsoft.lancs.ac.uk and ask to be registered
to use it. Then, to get full information on how to use it, mail
a message saying
   help
to archive-server@pdsoft.lancs.ac.uk

Daniel Bowen
--
Raymond Luxury-Yacht |A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FOOT.| Systems Analysts |------
a.k.a. DANIEL BOWEN  |-------------------------------| put the ANAL back|MY

alan@comp.lancs.ac.uk (Alan Phillips) (01/08/91)

A dialogue on accessing the Lancaster University software archive has
recently appeared in comp.sys.acorn and eunet.micro.acorn :

  >> Every now and then, someone mentions the Lancs PDSOFT archives.
  >> Can anyone tell me how to access these?
  >
  >FTP access is only available on Janet. To get stuff from outside
  >Janet (ie Internet), you will have to use the archive request
  >server.
  >
  >This is also normally available only on Janet; what you'll have to
  >do is mail pdsoft@pdsoft.lancs.ac.uk and ask to be registered
  >to use it.

No, please don't mail and ask us to be registered! I'm afraid we exist to
serve only the UK Academic Community, and if your host system is not in the
uk.ac name domain then you can't use us. Users in uk.ac domain can use the
archive without registration.

The material on this archive is mostly derived from US archives accessible
on the Internet and from USENET groups, so you can get most of it anyway.

Alan Phillips
Lancs PDSOFT Archive Manager