[comp.sys.acorn] NetHack/Unixlib

rogersh%p3i@uk.ac.man.cs (01/07/91)

In article <1535@tharr.UUCP> altman@tharr.UUCP (Hugo Fiennes) writes:
>I see you mention this 'unix library' - it was also mentioned in the
>posting of nethack I believe - does this include a curses - it seemed
>to as nethack had a termcap file. I'm desperately searching for
>a curses that is NOT just for direct screen drive (eg PC-curses)
>but a *real* curses for online use with ANSI & VT100 terminals at
>the very least. Ideas?

	I have just bugfixed the unixlib I used to port nethack to the
Arch. Amongst other things it now allows all signal handlers to return
properly, which is something Acorn's Ansilib can't do. It does include
a full termcap, which works with all standard termcap entries. Curses
however lies on top of termcap/termlib and I haven't ported that yet.
(Though there are PD sources around and it wouldn't be difficult).
Various other hacks include better (faster + more reliable) stdio, better
OS interface, the proper implementation of SIGEMT, SIGSYS, SIGALRM/
alarm() and SIGERR (RiscOS errors), and better quality rand(). I will
post this next month sometime as soon as there's some doc. for it all.
Unfortunately I have too much "real" work to do right now. I also
recompiled nethack with TEXTCOLOR, so you now get the 16 color nethack
in Mode 12. If anyone wants this stuff badly, Email me. Porting GNU/SYSV
stuff generally requires no modification, just recompilation.

[ H.J.Rogers (INTERNET: rogersh%p4%cs.man.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu)       ]
[    ,_,     (BITNET/EARN: rogersh%p4%cs.man.ac.uk@UKACRL.BITNET)      ]
[  :-(_)-o   (UUCP: ...!uunet!cunyvm.cuny.edu!cs.man.ac.uk!p4!rogersh) ]
[   _} {_    (JANET: rogersh%p4@uk.ac.man.cs)                          ]

rogersh%p5f@uk.ac.man.cs (01/12/91)

In article <1586@tharr.UUCP> gtoal@tharr.UUCP (Graham Toal) writes:
>In article <1991Jan7.112543.1962@cns.umist.ac.uk> rogersh%p3i@uk.ac.man.cs writes:
>>in Mode 12. If anyone wants this stuff badly, Email me. Porting GNU/SYSV
>>stuff generally requires no modification, just recompilation.
>
>Be a mensch Roger - post it when it's done?  I know you said you planned
>to sell it, but really it's a tiny market -- either you charge a lot and
>people decide to write their own (see Paul Moore's code on newcastle), or
>you don't charge much and don't make much profit.  Whereas if you post
>it free, you get a reputation as a nice guy and people queueing up outside
>your door with job offers :-)

	It will all be posted free very soon - I've changed my mind :-)