[comp.sys.acorn] New-ish PD software library for the Archimedes

rkl@and.cs.liv.ac.uk (01/17/91)

WARNING:

This is an advertisement for a relatively new P.D. software library. I
apologise to those of you who object to this sort of posting (I'm not sure if
it flies in the face of UseNet conventions), but I've reduced the info to the
bare minimum (to reduce the objections to a bare minimum :-) ).

Address to write to:

                                A.P.D.L.
                 P.D. Software Library for the Archimedes
              96 Lanehouse Rd., Thornaby CLEVELAND TS17 8EA

Price range: 2.50 pounds sterling to 7.00 pounds sterling (1.50 extra for
             overseas). Quantity discounts available.

I counted 171 Archimedes P.D. disks available in the list, pretty well all
of them crammed full. I should state that most my software is in there too,
so I'm enttitled to a free bi-monthly disk (hence I'm "tainted" w.r.t. this
posting :-) ).

If there are any objections to me posting the full list of P.D. disks
available, then please e-mail me (or post to the Acorn groups - although
I'd like to see some reasoned argument in there as to why posting a P.D.
list is bad for everyone's health !). If there are no SENSIBLE objections
to me posting, then I shall do so in about a week's time.

Some of the stuff he sent from the library is top rate, including a very
neat and fast ARM code version of Life that *colours* the cells according
to their age. In fact, it's so good, I'm sorely tempted to post it here :-)

Richard K. Lloyd,       *** This is a MicroVAX II running VAX/VMS V5.3-1 ***
Computer Science Dept., * JANET     : RKL@UK.AC.LIV.CS.AND                 *
Liverpool University,   * Internet  : RKL%and.cs.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu *
Merseyside, England,    ****************************************************
Great Britain.          Q: "What's the world's fastest home micro ?"
L69 3BX                 A: "The Archimedes A3000. 4 MIPS for under 800 pounds."

chughes@maths.tcd.ie (Conrad Hughes) (01/21/91)

In <1991Jan17.115259.11830@and.cs.liv.ac.uk> rkl@and.cs.liv.ac.uk writes:

>If there are any objections to me posting the full list of P.D. disks
>available, then please e-mail me (or post to the Acorn groups - although
>I'd like to see some reasoned argument in there as to why posting a P.D.
>list is bad for everyone's health !). If there are no SENSIBLE objections
>to me posting, then I shall do so in about a week's time.

P.D. has always suggested to me - indeed most P.D. software says - that the
programs in question must be distributed without profit. A cost per disk of
between 2.50 and 7.00 seems fairly profit-oriented, given that disks come as
cheap as 25p each for 100...

I think the main objection to advertising is that it gives companies free
publicity at the cost of the net.administrators - and if they object to
binary postings in "non-binary" groups, then what would happen if the net
were deluged with junk mail and advertisements??? I think it's just best to
keep the risk of such an occurrence at bay, even though a case can be made
for low-budget or small organisations or _real_ P.D. who can't afford to
advertise in the expensive popular media...

Conrad
--
"I'd say he's a sadistic, sodomistic necrophile, but that's beating a dead
horse..." - Woody Allen