[comp.sys.acorn] Responding to PD advert complaint / Faulty VKiller 1.20 posting

rkl@and.cs.liv.ac.uk (01/22/91)

In article <1991Jan20.214410.28411@maths.tcd.ie>, chughes@maths.tcd.ie
> (Conrad Hughes) writes:

> P.D. has always suggested to me - indeed most P.D. software says - that the
> programs in question must be distributed without profit. A cost per disk of
> between 2.50 and 7.00 seems fairly profit-oriented, given that disks come as
> cheap as 25p each for 100...

This is the first objection I've had to my posting. I should state that the
steep 7.00 pounds price is for the CareWare set of discs that the library
maintains (from Archive magazine). Other discs do not exceed 3.50 pounds.
The full price range is: 2.00, 2.50, 3.50 and 7.00 pounds.

> I think the main objection to advertising is that it gives companies free
> publicity at the cost of the net.administrators

This Software Library appears to be a "one-man" operation that I haven't
seen advertised (there again, I don't buy the appallingly low-quality Acorn-
based magazines anyway).

I'll delay the posting of the full PD list another day to allow further
argument (I feel Conrad's complaint has been satisfactorily answered).

NOTE: My posting of VKiller 1.20 yesterday was corrupted. Sincere apologies
      to everyone concerned, but I now have a second virus called ArchieVirus
      (obtained from Alan Glover) that I've finished disassembling and am
      in the process of coding detection/innoculation. The next release of
      VKiller will be V2.00. There will be no repost of V1.20 since it was
      a bug-fix release.

Richard K. Lloyd,       *** This is a MicroVAX II running VAX/VMS V5.3-1 ***
Computer Science Dept., * JANET     : RKL@UK.AC.LIV.CS.AND                 *
Liverpool University,   * Internet  : RKL%and.cs.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu *
Great Britain.          Q: "What's the world's fastest home micro ?"
L69 3BX                 A: "The Archimedes A3000. 4 MIPS for under 800 pounds."