[comp.sys.acorn] Transputer board

gaspar@urz.unibas.ch (01/22/91)

In article <1589@tharr.UUCP>, gtoal@tharr.UUCP (Graham Toal) writes:

> PS Obligatory unsubstantiated rumour: has anyone else heard talk of putting
> transputer-like links on the arm for multi-processor systems?

I read that an English company called GNOME offers a Transputer board for the
Archimedes. It costs ca. #700-#2700 depending on how much RAM (up to 8Meg)
and which type of Transputer you want.

laci

mre@ukc.ac.uk (M.R.Ellis) (01/23/91)

In article <1317@urz.unibas.ch>, gaspar@urz.unibas.ch writes:

>In article <1589@tharr.UUCP>, gtoal@tharr.UUCP (Graham Toal) writes:
>>
>> PS Obligatory unsubstantiated rumour: has anyone else heard talk of putting
>> transputer-like links on the arm for multi-processor systems?
>
>I read that an English company called GNOME offers a Transputer board for the
>Archimedes. It costs ca. #700-#2700 depending on how much RAM (up to 8Meg)
>and which type of Transputer you want.

I have heard of another British company (G2 Systems) which will shortly
be releasing a graphics podule for the Archimedes based around the
Transputer processor.  The specs read something like :-

24 bit colour (8 bits each for Red,  Green and Blue)
Genlock (essential for mixing with other video sources)
1280*1024 pixels
5 million pixels per second update rate

The image is stored in on-board RAM and provides an RGB output totally
separate from the normal Archimedes monitor feed.  There MAY also be a
broadcast specification PAL coder on the board.

Price was not known at the time,  but was expected to be about 5000 pounds
sterling.  The device is intended as the replacement for the Prisma Graphics
unit called the 'Prisma 3' which used a BBC Master Series as the front end.
This device was also available with a Master included in the 19-inch rack
from G2 Systems.

Disclaimer : this information is AT LEAST three months old and is second hand.
I cannot confirm its' authenticity,  but if and when this device is released...

I WANT ONE !!! :->

| Michael Ellis |    "How, in one night, did we come so far?"                 |
|  Host : Mike  |                                            (Miss Saigon)    |
--