[comp.sys.acorn] RKL vkiller

hughesmp@vax1.tcd.ie (01/23/91)

In article <2236@cybaswan.UUCP>, cs9h9tts@cybaswan.UUCP (t.simpson) writes:

> Hi everyone.. I wonder has anyone had the same prob as me.. when running RKL's
> vkiller off SCSI HD,,... it crashes saying 'string too long'. never had this
> problem with floppies.. any ideas.
>
> Even better, RKL, if you're out there, did you program it to recognise SCSI?
>
> Tom. cs9h9tts@uk.ac.swan.pyr

I believe the problem you are having, is that your directory structure on the
SCSI is too big, so the full filename just gets too big; eg:
$.Apps.Utils.Arc100.Fred.Mary.Blah.Hello.Slaytanic
, and the program just cannot cope with this length of string. I have the same
problem with Arc100 by Richard also; it can't save the setup, because it is
too far down in my HD. You don't get this problem on floppies, because you
don't generally have structures as big as on HDs.

The simple solution for you, is to reduce the length of your directory trees,
by bringing some of them further up the line.. For RKL, it would be either to
increase the length of his string buffer, or if it is a FS error (names can't
be longer than 255(?) chars), to actually go into the directories, as opposed
to staying in the root, and building up the filename... Such a recursive
program would not be too difficult to implement...

Hope this helps...

I'll shorten my .sig... Honest !

 _______   ___   _______   ___   ___
/\      \ /\  \ /\      \ /\  \ /\  \
\ \   ___\\ \  \\ \   ___\\ \  \\ \  \       Hugs and manacles,
    \ \___  \ \ \  \\ \  \    \ \   __   \         (Merlin Hughes)
     \/__/\  \ \ \  \\ \  \    \ \  \/\_  \      hughesmp@vax1.tcd.ie
       /\      \ \ \  \\ \      \\ \  \\ \  \ \ My life is falling to pieces \
       \ \______\ \ \__\\ \______\\ \__\\ \__\ \   Somebody put me together   \