[comp.sys.acorn] VKiller status report

rkl@and.cs.liv.ac.uk (01/23/91)

In article <2236@cybaswan.UUCP>, cs9h9tts@cybaswan.UUCP (t.simpson) writes:

> Hi everyone.. I wonder has anyone had the same prob as me.. when running RKL's
> vkiller off SCSI HD,,... it crashes saying 'string too long'. never had this
> problem with floppies.. any ideas.

I assume you're talking about the heavily-flawed V1.10. This WIMP program was
written in record time for me and probably posted in far too much of a
hurry :-(

> Even better, RKL, if you're out there, did you program it to recognise SCSI?

V1.20 does, but - ahem - it appears that the version I posted up was a
corrupted archive. Unfortunately, I'm slap bang in the middle of coding V2.00
as I speak (copes with ArchieVirus which was recently sent to me), but with
my mind distracted on the Gulf War at the moment, it may be the weekend before
I get down to some serious VKiller coding. I may be changing the way I
check/load a file (claiming RMA instead of DIMming dodgy fixed-sized memory
arrays and also making use of OS_GBPB to read from near the end of the file
instead of loading the whole thing in).

BTW, the SCSI changes I made in V1.20 are, unfortunately, *untested*, but
I've derived them from my bdf program, so they should be pretty sound. If
people are desperate enough, I can dig out V1.20 and repost it, but I feel
it's better waiting another week and being able to cope with a second virus
as well...

Richard K. Lloyd,       *** This is a MicroVAX II running VAX/VMS V5.3-1 ***
Computer Science Dept., * JANET     : RKL@UK.AC.LIV.CS.AND                 *
Liverpool University,   * Internet  : RKL%and.cs.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu *
Great Britain.          Q: "What's the world's fastest home micro ?"
L69 3BX                 A: "The Archimedes A3000. 4 MIPS for under 800 pounds."