[comp.sys.acorn] comp.binaries.acorn anyone?

x51@nikhefh.nikhef.nl (Excursiecommissie) (01/22/91)

Hello everyone,
There were some rumours about comp.binaries.acorn being announced, but I
haven't heard from it since. Since the last posting of NetHack, of which I
don't know WHAT it is, I feel strongly for the creation of a binaries group.
At the moment I am downloading and storing everything that appears on this
group and, just for consistency, I also stored the Nethack posting.
If the binaries posting were to be in a binaries group, and the poster would
leave a message in the c.s.a. group, EXPLAINING WHAT HIS POSTING DOES!
Then I think everyone would be happy.

It's just that I have to download, uudecode, uncompress 1 Megabyte of data,
before I know what it's good for and this is getting too silly.

bye,
Axel.

marksv%t3d@uk.ac.man.cs (01/23/91)

In article <1126@nikhefh.nikhef.nl> x51@nikhefh.nikhef.nl (Excursiecommissie) writes:

>At the moment I am downloading and storing everything that appears on this
>group and, just for consistency, I also stored the Nethack posting.
>If the binaries posting were to be in a binaries group, and the poster would
>leave a message in the c.s.a. group, EXPLAINING WHAT HIS POSTING DOES!
>Then I think everyone would be happy.
>
>It's just that I have to download, uudecode, uncompress 1 Megabyte of data,
>before I know what it's good for and this is getting too silly.

Well, noone is *forcing* you to download 1 Megabyte of data! If you
don't know WHAT IT IS then try looking in rec.games.hack which is an group
devoted to nethack. It is a *massive* game usually found on UN*X machines
(hence the creation of unixlib by Huw Rogers!), of the D&D genre. Methinks
the original poster thought that such a classic would need no introduction.
 It seems he was wrong, but a little bit of courtesy wouldn't hurt!

___        ______________________Vaughan Marks_____________________
\  \      /JANET: marksv@uk.ac.man.cs.p4                           \  /\
 \  \    /UUNET:  marksv%p4%cs.man.ac.uk%cunyvm.cuny.edu@uunet.uucp \/  \
  \  \  /uk.co: marksv%p4%cs.man.ac.uk%cunyvm.cuny.edu%uunet.uucp@ukc    \
   \  \/UUCP: ...!uunet!cunyvm.cuny.edu!cs.man.ac.uk!p4!marksv    /\  /\  \
    \____________________________________________________________/  \/  \__\

rogersh%t3i@uk.ac.man.cs (01/23/91)

In article <1126@nikhefh.nikhef.nl> x51@nikhefh.nikhef.nl (Excursiecommissie) writes:
>Hello everyone,
>There were some rumours about comp.binaries.acorn being announced, but I
>haven't heard from it since. Since the last posting of NetHack, of which I
>don't know WHAT it is, I feel strongly for the creation of a binaries group.
>At the moment I am downloading and storing everything that appears on this
>group and, just for consistency, I also stored the Nethack posting.
>If the binaries posting were to be in a binaries group, and the poster would
>leave a message in the c.s.a. group, EXPLAINING WHAT HIS POSTING DOES!
>Then I think everyone would be happy.
>
>It's just that I have to download, uudecode, uncompress 1 Megabyte of data,
>before I know what it's good for and this is getting too silly.

	Nethack is a game - read rec.games.hack to find out about it.
It's such a universal piece of s/ware that I assumed everyone that
would want it would also know about it.
		Huw

[ H.J.Rogers (INTERNET: rogersh%p4%cs.man.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu)       ]
[    ,_,     (BITNET/EARN: rogersh%p4%cs.man.ac.uk@UKACRL.BITNET)      ]
[  :-(_)-o   (UUCP: ...!uunet!cunyvm.cuny.edu!cs.man.ac.uk!p4!rogersh) ]
[   _} {_    (JANET: rogersh%p4@uk.ac.man.cs)                          ]

x51@nikhefh.nikhef.nl (Excursiecommissie) (01/24/91)

In article <1686@svin02.info.win.tue.nl> rcpieter@svin02.info.win.tue.nl
	 (Tiggr) writes:
>Normally, it is part of the moderator's job to put explanations at the
>top of a posting.

Yup, but if no moderator is available (i.e. no one offers himself as one)
I think the poster could explain to everyone what his (HUGE) posting
is all about.

Axel

rcpieter@svin02.info.win.tue.nl (Tiggr) (01/24/91)

x51@nikhefh.nikhef.nl (Excursiecommissie) writes:

>Yup, but if no moderator is available (i.e. no one offers himself as one)
>I think the poster could explain to everyone what his (HUGE) posting
>is all about.

Everyone should refrain from posting binaries to comp.sys.acorn for the
time being, especially since comp.binaries.acorn is pending.

Tiggr

mathew@mantis.co.uk (mathew) (01/24/91)

marksv%t3d@uk.ac.man.cs writes:
> In article <1126@nikhefh.nikhef.nl> x51@nikhefh.nikhef.nl (Excursiecommissie)
> >At the moment I am downloading and storing everything that appears on this
> >group and, just for consistency, I also stored the Nethack posting.
>
> Well, noone is *forcing* you to download 1 Megabyte of data!

False. UUCP sites which take comp.sys.acorn have to download ALL postings,
even the binaries. This is why binaries belong in a separate newsgroup.

mathew.
--
Internet: mathew@mantis.co.uk / mathew%mantis.co.uk@ukc.ac.uk
    UUCP: mathew@mantis.UUCP / ...!mcsun!ukc!ibmpcug!mantis!mathew