[comp.sys.acorn] Nethack and problems with...

banksie@ono.isor.vuw.ac.nz (Philip Banks) (01/23/91)

	  I dunno if it is just me or what but I downloaded all the nethack files
	and after an hour of mucking about converted them ready for decompression.
	They both decompressed nicely and I set them up as per the instructions
	in the readme file for a floppy drive. And what happens? I get an error
	talking about segmentation error and giving me a post mortem on the
	uncompress programme. Has anyone else had this problem? To be on the
	safe side I did decompress everything twice...

*-----------------------------------------------------------------*   @@@@@@/|
|   BANKSie! (aka Philip Banks) banksie@isor.vuw.ac.nz            |   @@@@@/#|
|      An Arc owner stuck in a non Arc spot.                      |   @@@@/##|
|  Well you try drawing the Arc Symbol in Ascii 'Graphics'!       |   @@@/---|
*-----------------------------------------------------------------*   @@/    |

ecc_jim@ecc.tased.oz.au (01/23/91)

In article <1991Jan22.190404.9937@comp.vuw.ac.nz>, banksie@ono.isor.vuw.ac.nz (Philip Banks)

>   I dunno if it is just me or what but I downloaded all the nethack files
> and after an hour of mucking about converted them ready for decompression.
> They both decompressed nicely and I set them up as per the instructions
> in the readme file for a floppy drive. And what happens? I get an error
> talking about segmentation error and giving me a post mortem on the
> uncompress programme. Has anyone else had this problem? To be on the
> safe side I did decompress everything twice...

Exactly the same thing happened to me except I configured it for the hard
drive. Will someone shed some light on this.

          Jim Palfreyman                  Elizabeth Computer Centre
          ecc_jim@ecc.tased.oz.au         Link Road
          phone: +61 02 496999            Claremont
            fax: +61 02 496969            TAS 7011  Australia

          PLEASE NOTE THAT UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, MY REPLY ADDRESS IS

                        ecc_jim@ecc.tased.oz.au

Imagine that Cray decides to make a personal computer.

It has a 500 MIPS processor, 200Mb of RAM, 1500Mb of disk storage, a screen
resolution of 4096 x 4096 pixels with 16777216 colours, relies entirely on
voice recognition for input, fits in your shirt pocket and costs $300.

What is the first question the computer community asks?

"Is it PC compatible?"

bdb@cl.cam.ac.uk (Brian Brunswick) (01/23/91)

In article <1991Jan22.190404.9937@comp.vuw.ac.nz> banksie@ono.isor.vuw.ac.nz (Philip Banks) writes:
>	talking about segmentation error and giving me a post mortem on the
>	uncompress programme. Has anyone else had this problem? To be on the
>	safe side I did decompress everything twice...

Yup, I had exactly the same thing. I also tried mixing with parts of the old
nethack distribution - the problem seems to be with the nh_z data file rather
than the unpacker, in the sense that the shipped one worked with the old nh_z.
Brian.Brunswick@uk.ac.cam.cl  Disclaimer.  Short sig rules!

blekken@fwi.uva.nl (Erwin Blekkenhorst (I88)) (01/23/91)

banksie@ono.isor.vuw.ac.nz (Philip Banks) writes:

>	  I dunno if it is just me or what but I downloaded all the nethack files
>	and after an hour of mucking about converted them ready for decompression.
>	They both decompressed nicely and I set them up as per the instructions
>	in the readme file for a floppy drive. And what happens? I get an error
>	talking about segmentation error and giving me a post mortem on the
>	uncompress programme. Has anyone else had this problem? To be on the
>	safe side I did decompress everything twice...

Before tryin' to download Nethack, anyone should know that it only works on a
2 Meg machine. I found out too late...

Erwin

--
  _____ ____
   /     /__)  ----------------------------------------------------------------

jim@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Jim Palfreyman) (01/24/91)

blekken@fwi.uva.nl (Erwin Blekkenhorst (I88)) writes:

>banksie@ono.isor.vuw.ac.nz (Philip Banks) writes:

>>	  I dunno if it is just me or what but I downloaded all the nethack files
>>	and after an hour of mucking about converted them ready for decompression.
>>	They both decompressed nicely and I set them up as per the instructions
>>	in the readme file for a floppy drive. And what happens? I get an error
>>	talking about segmentation error and giving me a post mortem on the
>>	uncompress programme. Has anyone else had this problem? To be on the
>>	safe side I did decompress everything twice...

>Before tryin' to download Nethack, anyone should know that it only works on a
>2 Meg machine. I found out too late...

>Erwin

Could someone then please tell me how to turn my 4 Meg machine into a
2 Meg one?    ;-)

Jim Palfreyman

cbuckley@vax1.tcd.ie (Highly Doped Emitter) (01/24/91)

banksie@ono.isor.vuw.ac.nz (Philip Banks) writes:

> [after uudecoding nethack and running ...]
> I get an error talking about segmentation error and giving me a
> post mortem on the uncompress programme. Has anyone else had
> this problem? To be on the safe side I did decompress
> everything twice...

Hooray - it's not just me! I had an identical problem. The nh.arc file
de-sparked all right, but nh_z (nh_z.dat in the file) seems to be corrupted
in some way.

Either :

	we had to do some extra translation/uncoding on the nh_z.dat file
	before using it as nh_z (and as far as I can tell, weren't told..)

or :

	nh_z is corrupted in some way - maybe due to some PC's nasty habit of
        translating newlines into cr/lf sequences. It's not happening at my
	end because that's always the first thing I check for when something
        doesn't work.

Any help, Huw?

| Colm Buckley. (Computer Science, Trinity College, Dublin)             |
| EMAIL      : cbuckley@vax1.tcd.ie                                     |
  | "This isn't the first time you're going to meet this...."         |