[comp.sys.acorn] 8-bit BBC postings

vac122g@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Daniel Bowen) (01/07/91)

Okay, I realise that Arc (32-bit) users now make up the majority
of Acorn users in this group, so how about this...

ALL 8-bit related postings have somewhere in the subject line "8-bit".
Then those who aren't interested can filter them out using their kill
files.

An alternative is a separate newsgroup, but I'm not sure the traffic
would justify it...

Daniel Bowen, starving Beeb owner.
--
Raymond Luxury-Yacht |  WE WISH YOU A MERRY SULTANA  | "Languages.... sounds
a.k.a. DANIEL BOWEN  |-------------------------------| a bit like sandwiches.."

gpvos@cs.vu.nl (Gerben 'P' Vos) (01/08/91)

vac122g@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Daniel Bowen) writes:
>ALL 8-bit related postings have somewhere in the subject line "8-bit".
>Then those who aren't interested can filter them out using their kill
>files.

Let's propose some more:
	binary		Archimedes encoded binary
	source		Archimedes (encoded or plain) source

I feel at least "binary" is necessary. As an Electron user, i *do* like
to read most articles about the Arc, but i can't do anything with those
binaries, so i just don't want to see them.

So PUHLEEEEEEZE, it's so simple. They're quite boring to read :-).

When posting 8-bit sources or binaries, better mark them just "8-bit".
I certainly wouldn't want to miss those...!

-					Gerben
--
--- Gerben Vos - Aconet: BIGBEN!Gerben Vos - Internet: gpvos@cs.vu.nl
"While you are here, your wives and girlfriends are dating handsome American

quan@sol.surv.utas.oz (Stephen Quan) (01/08/91)

vac122g@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Daniel Bowen) writes:
>Daniel Bowen, starving Beeb owner.

Me too.  The mileage of my beeb has just about gone.

patrick@sideways.gen.nz (Pat Cain) (01/09/91)

vac122g@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Daniel Bowen) writes:

> Okay, I realise that Arc (32-bit) users now make up the majority
> of Acorn users in this group, so how about this...

Okay, I think it would be great to see some 8bit programs here.  There
are quite a few 8bit BBC owners on this site who would be interested.
How about developing a BBC version of uuen/decode?  In NZ we use a
program that merges BBC files into one, preserving the load/exec
addresses, that may be useful especially if non-source is going to be
posted.

--
Patrick Cain, Private Box 2060, Wellington, New Zealand.

gpvos@cs.vu.nl (Gerben 'P' Vos) (01/09/91)

patrick@sideways.gen.nz (Pat Cain) writes:
>How about developing a BBC version of uuen/decode?  In NZ we use a
>program that merges BBC files into one, preserving the load/exec
>addresses, that may be useful especially if non-source is going to be
>posted.

In the Netherlands, we use two programs which arc and unarc files.
The programs are called Xarc and ArcRom (both are Rom images). ArcRom is a
bit buggy for large files, but they work quite adequate.
They are compatible with both Messy-DOS Arc 5.1 and !Spark (at least 1.00),
but I'm not sure that there is a provision for load/exec addresses.
My solution usually is to include a file "ExecMe" which changes the
load/exec addresses when *EXEC'ed.

If there is interest, i'll have a try at posting them (using Unix uuencode).

-					Gerben

mathew@mantis.co.uk (mathew) (01/09/91)

gpvos@cs.vu.nl (Gerben 'P' Vos) writes:
> vac122g@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Daniel Bowen) writes:
> >ALL 8-bit related postings have somewhere in the subject line "8-bit".
> >Then those who aren't interested can filter them out using their kill
> >files.
>
> Let's propose some more:
> 	binary		Archimedes encoded binary
> 	source		Archimedes (encoded or plain) source
>
> I feel at least "binary" is necessary. As an Electron user, i *do* like
> to read most articles about the Arc, but i can't do anything with those
> binaries, so i just don't want to see them.

Binaries belong in a binaries group, as any Usenet old-timer will tell
you.

If you all want to see binaries for Acorn machines, go propose a
suitable group. The instructions are posted in
news.announce.newusers.

Otherwise if I keep seeing binaries in this discussion group I'll
just stop our whole site from getting it. It's not worth our time or
money to download large executable files for a machine we don't have.
There are lots of other sites out there inhabited by people who feel
the same way (i.e., UUCP sites.)  If you don't want to lose a lot of
readers, you'd better separate the binaries out of this newsgroup.

Alternatively, you could use eunet.micro.acorn for the code and
this group for the discussion. I'm not sure if Eunet groups are
supposed to follow the "no binaries in a discussion group"
restriction which is generally followed on mainstream Usenet.

mathew.

cstaqdb@warwick.ac.uk (Tom Hughes) (01/09/91)

In article <DF9gV4w163w@sideways.gen.nz> patrick@sideways.gen.nz (Pat Cain) writes:

>Okay, I think it would be great to see some 8bit programs here.  There
>are quite a few 8bit BBC owners on this site who would be interested.
>How about developing a BBC version of uuen/decode?  In NZ we use a
>program that merges BBC files into one, preserving the load/exec
>addresses, that may be useful especially if non-source is going to be
>posted.

I agree wholeheartedly about posting BBC listings here, and I have some that I
may post myself, although they are rather long, so some form of compression
would be useful.

Perhaps the program mentioned could be posted to the net and then used as
standard for 8-bit postings.

Tom Hughes, CS1

thughes@uk.ac.warwick.cs        Room 112 Compton Hall
cstaqdb@uk.ac.warwick.cu        Westwood
                                University of Warwick
(0203) 523523 X2927             Coventry CV4 8EE

patrick@sideways.gen.nz (Pat Cain) (01/12/91)

gpvos@cs.vu.nl (Gerben 'P' Vos) writes:

> In the Netherlands, we use two programs which arc and unarc files.
> The programs are called Xarc and ArcRom (both are Rom images). ArcRom is a
> bit buggy for large files, but they work quite adequate.
> They are compatible with both Messy-DOS Arc 5.1 and !Spark (at least 1.00),
> but I'm not sure that there is a provision for load/exec addresses.
> My solution usually is to include a file "ExecMe" which changes the
> load/exec addresses when *EXEC'ed.
>
> If there is interest, i'll have a try at posting them (using Unix uuencode).

I'm interested, any version of uuencode except the Archimedes one should
be fine..  I didn't realise there was a rom version of Arc for the beeb.
Thanks.

--
Patrick Cain, Private Box 2060, Wellington, New Zealand.

csf195@cck.cov.ac.uk (Mirrir) (01/24/91)

In article <1991Jan9.125607.29920@warwick.ac.uk> cstaqdb@warwick.ac.uk (Tom Hughes) writes:

>I agree wholeheartedly about posting BBC listings here, and I have some that I
>may post myself, although they are rather long, so some form of compression
>would be useful.
>
>Perhaps the program mentioned could be posted to the net and then used as
>standard for 8-bit postings.

   I also agree, Tom, but at the moment I can't transfer stuff from system
   to BBC Disc or back, as disc drives have been removed from the only
   system connected Beeb's at this poly.

   What I'm really looking for at the moment is a Colour printer Dump progy
   that works on a Master 128 printing to a Star LC-10 Colour printer.

   ANY ONE GOT ONE THAT IS Public Domain !!!!?????

   Thanks

| Jason Taylor (csf195@uk.ac.cov.cck) | "That's all fine, but I only need to |
|  Aliases : ALIEN  (Slartibartfast)  |  know one thing." -Aliens (Vasquez)  |
|  Stliaise (stliaise@uk.ac.cov.cck)  |      'Yes?' - "Where they ARE."      |

csuaw@warwick.ac.uk (01/28/91)

In article <1991Jan24.143419.17464@cck.cov.ac.uk> csf195@cck.cov.ac.uk (Mirrir) writes:

>   I also agree, Tom, but at the moment I can't transfer stuff from system
>   to BBC Disc or back, as disc drives have been removed from the only
>   system connected Beeb's at this poly.

        How do people do this ? There is a beeb here connected into the
network with a disk drive . it has lancs.KERMIT ROM in it as well as Acorns
terminal ROM, but I HAVE (as yet ) failed to get anything succesfully
transfered to DISK !

                        Thanks for any help,
                        Patrick
Patrick Clark          |                            | 'You'd have to get up
University of Warwick  |   patrick@uk.ac.warwick.cs |  pretty early to catch
Coventry , CV4 7AL     |                            |  you out Micheal '