[comp.sys.acorn] !SparkPlug 2.40 - eh, does it exist ??

rkl@and.cs.liv.ac.uk (01/28/91)

In article <1991Jan22.220602.7526@vax1.tcd.ie>, hughesmp@vax1.tcd.ie writes:

> Richard, would there be any chance then, of your posting !Sparkplug2.4 or
> whichever is the most recent here?

Sadly, I don't know of the existence an !SparkPlug 2. Does anyone else
have a copy ? Anyway, for those wondering why I don't just post up !Spark 2,
!Spark 2 (or 1 for that matter) is *not* Public Domain. It was written by
David Pilling who sells it for 5 pounds. The sad thing is that, whilst
!SparkPlug *is* PD, it does not unpack Spark 2 archives :-( I'm tempted to
contact David Pilling and request him to do a SparkPlug 2 - this would be an
eminently sensible move on his part...

For those in the dark, !Spark (V1 or V2) allows the user to CREATE archives
as well as extract from them, whereas !SparkPlug (sadly only V1) only permits
extraction. To add to the confusion, !Spark V1 archives aren't necessary
compatible with !Spark V2 archives either :-( :-(

Richard K. Lloyd,       *** This is a MicroVAX II running VAX/VMS V5.3-1 ***
Computer Science Dept., * JANET     : RKL@UK.AC.LIV.CS.AND                 *
Liverpool University,   * Internet  : RKL%and.cs.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu *
Merseyside, England,    ****************************************************
Great Britain.          Q: "What's the world's fastest home micro ?"
L69 3BX                 A: "The Archimedes A3000. 4 MIPS for under 800 pounds."

cstcqec@warwick.ac.uk (Emmet Spier) (01/29/91)

I am aware that there is a new version of !Sparkplug that does dearc the
new sparked files (ie 16 bit compression etc) and it works very nicely,
unfortnuatly I do not have a copy of it here at uni. I suggest you write to
David Pilling & ask him for a copy
From Emmet Spier  (cstcqec@uk.ac.warwick.cu)
B55 Rootes,Warwick Uni,Cov. CV4 7AL    Tel (0203) 523 523 ext 2192 [room B55]

hughesmp@vax1.tcd.ie (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan28.100318.13225@and.cs.liv.ac.uk>, rkl@and.cs.liv.ac.uk writes:
> In article <1991Jan22.220602.7526@vax1.tcd.ie>, hughesmp@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>
>> Richard, would there be any chance then, of your posting !Sparkplug2.4 or
>> whichever is the most recent here?
>
> Sadly, I don't know of the existence an !SparkPlug 2. Does anyone else
> have a copy ? Anyway, for those wondering why I don't just post up !Spark 2,

Ok I got the wrong guy... I don't have !SparkPlug2.4 or whatever, myself...
I just saw it on a BBS somewhere. I'll check again tonight to see if I can
find it, and see what it says. I know about !Spark not being pd... Pity
really.

Merlin.