[comp.sys.acorn] !SparkPlug2.11 ... !SparkPlug 2.14

hughesmp@vax1.tcd.ie (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan28.144911.13227@and.cs.liv.ac.uk>, rkl@and.cs.liv.ac.uk writes:
> Many thanks for posting SparkPlug 2.11 - the backgrounding of the unpacking
> is clever, but got me confused when the application icon for the unpacked
> program appeared immediately, but the unpacking continued for a minute or
> so afterwards ! Perhaps the icon could have been the same "busy" one that
> the icon bar icon displays whilst backgrounding unpacking is in progress.

I just checked up (in 5 mins or so) on that !SparkPlug 2.41 ... It is called
Sparkplug 2.41 on the bulletin board, but actually _is_ Sparkplug 2.14 ; it
doesn't have a bug fix file, but I am sure there are some things fixed in it.
I would post it, but unless there's a demand for it, I'll wait for our new
binaries area, before doing that... If anyone wants it by e-mail, I'll try
and get it to you...

> !SparkPlug 2.11 is quite neat and seems to solve all the binary postings
> problems in one fell swoop. I vote a big *yes* to using it for extracting
> binaries in the forthcoming comp.binaries.acorn newsgroup... Of course,
> submitters will still need Spark 2 to create the stuff in the first place :-)

Or they could use !Spark (1), or *Arc ... Problem with *Arc anyway, and
possibly !Spark 1, is that when extracting them with !Sparkplug2, the first
file in it seems to get corrupted; in the archive 'filer directory', it
appears perfectly normal, but when extracted, the file name is very corrupted
as is its filetype. This can _usually_ be fixed by hand tho', and I haven't
found it corrupting the file data itself yet.

Does David Pilling read this? And does he have any comments on it?

Merlin.