[comp.sys.acorn] Translator 6.29 comments.

kortink@utrcu1.UUCP (Kortink John) (01/28/91)

Does *nobody* have *any* comments on Translator 6.29 ?
Or does everybody take it for granted lately ?

John Kortink

Student of Informatics at the University of Twente, The Netherlands
MAIL : kortink@utrcu1.uucp
DISCLAIMER : you know ....             "If language were liquid
                                        it would be rushing in
                                        Instead here we are
    Suzanne Vega (Solitude standing)    in a silence more eloquent
                                        than any word could ever be"

cs9h9tts@cybaswan.UUCP (t.simpson) (01/29/91)

In article <784@utrcu1.UUCP> kortink@utrcu1.UUCP (Kortink John) writes:
>Does *nobody* have *any* comments on Translator 6.29 ?
>Or does everybody take it for granted lately ?
>
>John Kortink

Well, here's one : Lovely program, V. useful, thank you very much.

Of course, what we could _really_ do with is a decent Art package for
the Arc such that packages like Translator weren't needed quite so much.
Something along the lines of Dpaint III, none of this pathetic (menu design,
what's that !?) Artisan or Atelier (and I though Artisan menu's were bad!)

anyway.. back to Translator.. Better than ChangeFSI in my opinion (not
to mention being PD)

Tom.
     cs9h9tts@uk.ac.swan.pyr

ecwu61@castle.ed.ac.uk (R Renwick) (01/29/91)

In article <784@utrcu1.UUCP> kortink@utrcu1.UUCP (Kortink John) writes:
>Does *nobody* have *any* comments on Translator 6.29 ?
>Or does everybody take it for granted lately ?
>
>John Kortink

	Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ############	Richard Renwick		ecwu61@uk.ac.ed.castle
   #            #	Computer Science 4	OR rlr@uk.ac.ed.lfcs
  @   ~~~  ~~~   @	University of Edinburgh
|\@    **  **    @/|	Edinburgh
| @    **  **    @ |
|/@      ||      @\|
  @  \   ||   /  @
   @  \______/  @	"Doesn't the grass look funny from underneath?"
    @          @				- Penfold
     @@@@@@@@@@

hughesmp@vax1.tcd.ie (01/30/91)

In article <784@utrcu1.UUCP>, kortink@utrcu1.UUCP (Kortink John) writes:
> Does *nobody* have *any* comments on Translator 6.29 ?
> Or does everybody take it for granted lately ?
>
> John Kortink

Ok, one suggestion... Tell me if a file is too short, or not quite right;
just yesterday, I got a GIFF file of a scud missile (?) from an info
server I think, but in its travels, it had been through a machine, an IBM I
believe which had made it go from ASCII to EBCDIC to ASCII, and all the
carets in it had gone... Then, after uudecoding, it wasn't quite right.
Translator just showed a mostly black picture... Similarly with extra short
MTV pictures ... any short pictures in fact... it just blacks off the end...
Could it just pop up a window saying 'hi, this is a bit wrong isn't it?',
and display what it gets from it also...

Merlin.

SICK ... We're assembly language programmers.
         We don't declare anything, we just use them.

johny@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Lord Yak Da Hairy) (01/30/91)

In article <784@utrcu1.UUCP> kortink@utrcu1.UUCP (Kortink John) writes:
>Does *nobody* have *any* comments on Translator 6.29 ?
>Or does everybody take it for granted lately ?

I tried to mail this, but it bounced. Anyway, a completely excellent program
which I use a lot. Thanks. The new menu layouts and icons are also rather
nice.

Is there any chance of support for Macintosh PICT files in the next release?
We have a scanner here which likes giving things in PICT format...

-- John Yeates (Lord Yak Da Hairy) --------------------------------------------
-- johny@syma.susx.ac.uk OR johny@cogs.susx.ac.uk  (0273) 678318
-- Always be excellent, never be rude, with the GIFT OF GAB from DR DUDE!
What! You expected a witty comment down here?

banksie@ono.isor.vuw.ac.nz (Philip Banks) (01/31/91)

--text follows this line--

	  Well I like translator but it has a few failings.:-

 1) You must load translator first instead of being able to double click on a
	file. I am surprised you haven't added this option before as the code
	for it is simple.

 2) Only one picture can be open at a time. This is a biggie to implement but
	would be very nice... The best approach for a basic program to do this
	is to wimplslot itself to the minimum size for itself and just its
	variables. Then extend you wimplslot slightly and build a heap just
	above himem. Then use the heap to store all your picies etc... This
	approach has the nice touch that basic (not realising that the memory
	limit has been extended) doesn't corrupt your heap at all.

 3) The last missing thing is it would be nice to display amiga IFF animation
	files. Presumably using the system you have for displaying more than
	1 GIF pic in a file would be a good way of handling it.

	Other than that it is a very slick piece of programming and keep up
	the good work!

	Cheers!
	       Philip R. Banks

P.S. how did you get the decompressions so fast? I have written a couple of
	Atari decompressors but I was little cackhanded with em and they
	take about 30secs a pic....

|   BANKSie! (aka Philip Banks) banksie@isor.vuw.ac.nz            |   @@@@@/#|
|      An Arc owner stuck in a non Arc spot.                      |   @@@@/##|
|  Well you try drawing the Arc Symbol in Ascii 'Graphics'!       |   @@@/---|