[comp.sys.acorn] RAM speed

cs9h0dgj@cybaswan.UUCP (dg.jones) (01/31/91)

In the past there have been a number of programs to increase the speed
of roms on the arch. But I was lead to believe that while the ram is
run at 125s, the actual chips can go at 100. Has anyone got a program
to accomplish this?

Dave.
cs9h0dgj@uk.ac.swan.pyr

andras@alzabo.uucp (Andras Kovacs) (02/03/91)

In article <2268@cybaswan.UUCP> cs9h0dgj@cybaswan.UUCP (dg.jones) writes:
>In the past there have been a number of programs to increase the speed
>of roms on the arch. But I was lead to believe that while the ram is
>run at 125s, the actual chips can go at 100. Has anyone got a program
>to accomplish this?
>
>Dave.
>cs9h0dgj@uk.ac.swan.pyr

    I am afraid that there is no program to do that. You can change the ROM
access speed on the Arch 'cause the MEMC chip provides the capability; the
RAM access is hardwired in the sense that it is determined by the main clock
of the system (which is 24 MHz I think and the MEMC divides it by three to
provide the processor clock). If you crank up the master clock, it might work -
or might not.

  Andras

--
Andras Kovacs       "Could somebody tell me what kind of a world we live in
andras@alzabo.UUCP   where a man dressed as a BAT gets all of my press..."

nbvs@cl.cam.ac.uk (Nicko van Someren) (02/04/91)

You can indeed crank up the clock speed to MEMC but this has some nasty
side effects.  The main problem stems from the fact that doing just that will
crank up the clock to IOC and this all your times will run fast, you hard
disc controler's phase-locked loops will run fast and lots of others besides.

What you realy need to do is to run the MEMC and IOC at different speeds and
have a small circiut to fix the signals inbetween.  This is what the 540 does.
I have built a circuit to do this but it is realy nasty, does not always work
reliably and needs tracks on the PCB cut before it can be fitted.
In my experiance it is not worth the bother.

| Nicko van Someren, nbvs@cl.cam.ac.uk, (44) 223 358707 or (44) 860 498903    |
|       "Go and buy an Aleph One ARM3 card and stop whining!!!"               |