[comp.sys.acorn] Comments on !PlaceIt

seifert@diku.dk (Michael Seifert) (02/02/91)

Hi Ian,

Since I can't e-mail you, I'll post my humble opinions here:

I've been using !PlaceIt for two weeks, and must say that I really enjoy it!
I'd like to give you a few suggestions for improvements, and also a bug
report:

  * Press the menu button on top of one of the
    icons on the background (icon is now inverted
    behind the menu)

  * Move the mouse pointer to the background and press
    the left mouse button (menu disappears)

You will now notice that the icon "looks like" it has been selected,
and is hence revsersed - but it isn't selected, just kind of "not un-
reversed". Try to select another icon next to the reversed one, and you'll
see what I mean.

Suggestions for improvements:

I'll write these in order of importance (imho):

1. Implement a small clock, this is how I think it should be implemented:

     Include "Clock" in the menu.

     When clicking menu, another "filer icon" will appear, only this
     is a "digital clock" icon. The icon can be moved around just like
     any other icon on the background. Please make it a digital clock
     with ordinary letters if possible. I think you should avoid seconds,
     hence only use hours and minutes (24 hour system).

     Take a look at !Daily by Joe Abley (joe@uucp.tharr), I used to use
     it until your background put itself on top of !Daily.

2. The possibility of a sprite as background.

3. VduSaver function (Please - no bouncing nuts).

4. SetDir function. The possibility of changing the current directory,
   by dragging a directory to an icon. Make this a menu option, and just
   like clock, make it into "yet another filer icon".

Why do I want all these functions in your program, when I might as well
use several other PD programs? Because each silly but useful application
use minimum 16Kb of my precious ram.

I hope you find these suggestions useful.

Regards,

Michael
(seifert@freja.diku.dk)

maumg@warwick.ac.uk (Pop Mobility Freak) (02/04/91)

In article <1991Feb1.195946.9947@odin.diku.dk> seifert@diku.dk (Michael Seifert) writes:

Text deleted of bug report

I have looked into this and fixed it. But you will have to wait until we
get comp.binaries.acorn before I mail it.

>Suggestions for improvements:
>
>I'll write these in order of importance (imho):
>
>1. Implement a small clock, this is how I think it should be implemented:
>
>     Include "Clock" in the menu.
>
>     When clicking menu, another "filer icon" will appear, only this
>     is a "digital clock" icon. The icon can be moved around just like
>     any other icon on the background. Please make it a digital clock
>     with ordinary letters if possible. I think you should avoid seconds,
>     hence only use hours and minutes (24 hour system).
>
>     Take a look at !Daily by Joe Abley (joe@uucp.tharr), I used to use
>     it until your background put itself on top of !Daily.

Try using my iconclock application. This is a module and so uses only the
memory it requires (not a whole page). If people really want one on the
background (ie included in !PlaceIt) let me know via e-mail if possible (at
maumg@uk.ac.warwick.cu or better pmf@uk.ac.warwick.cs) and I'll consider
"nerging" IconClock into PlaceIt

>2. The possibility of a sprite as background.

There are a few technical problems with this one. Also I am a third year
who has very little time to spare installing this option. There have been
several suggestions about this topic. An idea that I am in favour of is
allowing a small sprite to be tiled over the background (this would save
memory).

>3. VduSaver function (Please - no bouncing nuts).

Try using R.K.Lloyd's VDUSaver module as this is excellent and works from
outside the desktop as well. P.S. when will VDUSaver version 2.00 be out?

>4. SetDir function. The possibility of changing the current directory,
>   by dragging a directory to an icon. Make this a menu option, and just
>   like clock, make it into "yet another filer icon".

Do other people think this is a good idea? If so I *may* code it depending
upon how much time I have available.

End text deleted.

        Yours,
                Pop Mobility Freak (Ian Ashley)

Wot no signature

dbh@doc.ic.ac.uk (Denis Howe) (02/04/91)

First, thanks for a really useful application. I use it all the time now.

In article <1991Feb4.110525.12606@warwick.ac.uk> maumg@warwick.ac.uk (Pop Mobility Freak) writes:

   >4. SetDir function. The possibility of changing the current directory,
   >   by dragging a directory to an icon. Make this a menu option, and just
   >   like clock, make it into "yet another filer icon".

   Do other people think this is a good idea? If so I *may* code it depending
   upon how much time I have available.

This would be pretty handy. I use !CSD from Risc User quite often and
although this is really pretty convenient now it's stuck to the
background, it would surely not be too difficult to "nerg" (?)
something similar into !PlaceIt. If you do, you might consider
allowing the icon to be dragged onto the directory (viewer or icon) as
well as vice versa.

I would also like a pretty background but would probably only use it
if you could invent a new algorithm to compress a mode 15 full-screen
sprite into less than 1k of RAM. I'm sure you could fit it in between
lectures?  ;-)
--
Denis Howe <dbh@doc.ic.ac.uk> +44 (71) 589 5111 x5064
What is DiazaBicycloHexene ?