[comp.sys.acorn] TeX demo on Newcastle info server

Albert.Koelmans@newcastle.ac.uk (Albert Koelmans) (02/04/91)

A restricted version of the TeX port is now available from the Newcastle
info server. The filename is 'armatures'.

This, with Graham Toal's permission, is a demo version of his
ArMaTuReS (his PD version of TeX for the Archimedes). It is uuencoded
spark-ed (Spark 2.xx, but can be dealt with by Sparkplug) and fits on a
single floppy at 530k in uuencoded form, less when Sparkplug-ged. To
save space it contains only the fonts cmr10, cmr7, cmdunh10, and these
only in tfm and outline font versions.  So no maths, no laser-printing.
It DOES contain Graham's previewer !Preview.  It should be operable
(slowly) on a harddisk-less Archimedes, but I suspect will need at
least 2 Mb RAM.

You can get the full distribution from phoibos.cs.kun.nl via anon ftp
but
(a) this demo will help you evaluate ArMaTuReS before going to the
    hassle of pulling about 18 BIG files over by anon ftp,
(b) it may be easier to install the full distribution once you have a
    working cut-down version (certainly was easier for me :-)),
(c) you will CERTAINLY need a hard disk for the real thing!

Contributed by Wilfrid Kendall.

To retrieve a file a file from the archive, send a message to
info-server@newcastle.ac.uk with the following content:

line-limit 1000
request: sources
topic: archimedes filename
request: end

where filename is replaced by the name of the file that you want.
A filename of 'index' will send you the latest index file.
JANET:  Albert.Koelmans@uk.ac.newcastle
UUCP:   ...!ukc!newcastle.ac.uk!Albert.Koelmans
Computing Laboratory, University of Newcastle upon Tyne,
Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU, UK (telephone +44 091-2228155,fax 2228232)

gtoal@tharr.UUCP (Graham Toal) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Feb4.134658.21774@newcastle.ac.uk> Albert.Koelmans@newcastle.ac.uk (Albert Koelmans) writes:
>A restricted version of the TeX port is now available from the Newcastle
>info server. The filename is 'armatures'.
>
>This, with Graham Toal's permission, is a demo version of his
>ArMaTuReS (his PD version of TeX for the Archimedes). It is uuencoded
>spark-ed (Spark 2.xx, but can be dealt with by Sparkplug) and fits on a
>single floppy at 530k in uuencoded form, less when Sparkplug-ged. To
>save space it contains only the fonts cmr10, cmr7, cmdunh10, and these
>only in tfm and outline font versions.  So no maths, no laser-printing.
>It DOES contain Graham's previewer !Preview.  It should be operable
>(slowly) on a harddisk-less Archimedes, but I suspect will need at
>least 2 Mb RAM.
>
>You can get the full distribution from phoibos.cs.kun.nl via anon ftp

Thanks to both of you.  One point of info though: it *isn't* a restricted
version -- all the programs are the same ones you'll get in the full
release.  It is cut down in quantity, not quality :-)

Folks with TeX on other machines could probably get a whole system up
just by copying the tfm/pk files etc and adding to this minimal
system.  However, fetching the whole lot is recommended.

And a reminder to people with no ftp:  send 30 *FORMATTED* disks with
return postage stamps or coupons to this address and get I'll copy
the whole lot free.  Turn around time is quite good at the moment since
I have the release on 3 seperate machines :-)

Graham Toal/76 Clare Court/Judd Street/London WC1H 9QW.  (No callers please)

Regards
   Graham
PS Wilfrid: bad choice -- of the 76 fonts in the package, you picked
cmdunh10 which is the only corrupt file of the lot! Argh! :-)
--
(* Posted from tharr.uucp - Public Access Unix - +44 (234) 261804 *)