[comp.sys.acorn] TeX fonts -> outline fonts. How???

gtoal@tharr.UUCP (Graham Toal) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Feb1.114511.1351@urz.unibas.ch> gaspar@urz.unibas.ch writes:
>Does anybody know how to convert TeX, LaTeX etc. font into outline fonts?
>I'm using Graham Toals conversion of TeX with MusicTeX with Tiggr's previewer.
>But as long as I don't have the outline fonts of the MusicTeX fonts I use too
>much paper to check the result.
>Neither G.Toal, nor Tiggr answered my question. Is it too obvious?
>I'd apreciate any help very much!
>laci

Sorry - we might be suffering bouncing mail problems again.  The original
fonts were converted to outlines with some software from Neil Raine of
Acorn which took !Paint files (rasters) and turned them into !Draw files
(outlines).  I hacked an interface which converted a gf file into a !Paint
file, and another which turned a set of !Draw files (one per char) into
a font file.  The fonts to be converted had to be generated specially
by metafont at high resolution (3000dpi)  This software went stiff
ages ago, and was proprietary to Acorn.  I had it by arrangement with
the author.

Another method I started working on more recently with tiggr's help was
converting gf files to scalable xy pixel fonts.  These actually look
better than the outline fonts at small sizes.  I can send you that code
if you like.  But there's a bug - it generates effectively random
intmetric files.  So it only works in cases where tex has set each
character with an absolute dvi xy move -- if the previewer gets a
packet of letters together with only implied moves between, they'll
be wrongly positioned.  This could either be fixed properly, or kludged
by tweaking the previewer not to paint text in packets (probably a
one-liner but unclean)  However since you have the sources, this is
your best bet.  Mail me your address (paper mail - only reliable kind)
& I'll post what I have to you.

Graham
PS Everyone please note - I answer *ALL* mail, so if you don't get a
response, keep trying: various addresses for me are:

gtoal@tharr.uucp
zesz01@ed.ac.uk
gtoal@ed.ac.uk
gtoal@tardis.cs.ed.ac.uk

(those were in increasing order of preference)

Route via ean-relay earn-relay or nsfnet-relay.  don't route mail
to the tardis address via ukc.
--
(* Posted from tharr.uucp - Public Access Unix - +44 (234) 261804 *)