[comp.sys.acorn] In defence of Andrew Stevens

news@prg.ox.ac.uk (news) (02/08/91)

In <2862@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk>, bh2@doc.ic.ac.uk (B Hogan) writes:
>In article <1210@culhua.prg.ox.ac.uk>, as@prg.ox.ac.uk (Andrew Stevens) writes:
> >>	1) No *proper* usage of MEMC's dynamic paging facilities
> >>	2) No pre-emptive context switching
> >>	3) No virtual memory
> >>	4) No POSIX compliance
> >>	5) A WIMP without an X interface mechanism
> >>	6) Hacked up in ARM code - resulting in multiple
> >>		obscure bugs. How many UNIX boxes have to be hard reset
> >>		at least twice in every serious software development
> >>		session? - the Arch. does.
> plus lots of other crap.
> I can hardly believe this article was serious.

I take it that you are attributing the quoted material to Andrew Stevens?
CHECK YOUR QUOTE!  That was not said by Andrew Stevens.  This is the second
article I've read which appears to slam Mr Stevens about comments HE DID NOT
MAKE!  If you are going to insult somebody's comments, make sure you get the
right person.  I apologise beforehand if you are complaining about his
comments about those quoted comments; you certainly don't make this clear
in your article.

pihl richards

p.s.	Although we work in the same department, I do not know Andrew Stevens.
--
/             Phil Richards             |   Email: JANet, BITNET, UUCP       \
\      Programmming Research Group      |      pgr@uk.ac.oxford.prg          /