[comp.sys.acorn] Filing system matters

kortink@utrcu1.UUCP (Kortink John) (02/09/91)

dhmyrdal@lise.unit.no (Dag Haakon Myrdal) writes :

> (For those having access to a VAX: yes, this is similar to the way
> the VAX handles file version-numbers)

Personally, I find VAX's version numbers a pain in the ***.

But unlimited length (well, up to disc space at least :-) filenames a-la
Unix would be great. Also, maybe a filetype could define an implicit
filename extension, like &FFF would make a file 'zap' be a 'zap.txt'.
Unix-like file links would be great too (but I realise this may need
a double-linked directory structure).

While on filing systems : did somebody besides me notice that the RAM
filing system takes *lots* more space when using many directories and
small files than ADFS ? Strange, when they're both filecore-based. (I
know that at least ADFS combines tiny files with directories, but does
this intelligence reside in ADFS or filecore ?).
Any comments (Roger perhaps) ?

John Kortink

Student of Informatics at the University of Twente, The Netherlands
MAIL : kortink@utrcu1.uucp
DISCLAIMER : you know ....             "If language were liquid
                                        it would be rushing in
                                        Instead here we are
    Suzanne Vega (Solitude standing)    in a silence more eloquent
                                        than any word could ever be"

brian@rtf.bt.co.uk (Brian N Butterworth) (02/10/91)

In article <795@utrcu1.UUCP> kortink@utrcu1.UUCP (Kortink John) writes:
>dhmyrdal@lise.unit.no (Dag Haakon Myrdal) writes :
>
>> (For those having access to a VAX: yes, this is similar to the way
>> the VAX handles file version-numbers)
>
>Personally, I find VAX's version numbers a pain in the ***.
>
>But unlimited length (well, up to disc space at least :-) filenames a-la
>Unix would be great. Also, maybe a filetype could define an implicit
>filename extension, like &FFF would make a file 'zap' be a 'zap.txt'.
>Unix-like file links would be great too (but I realise this may need
>a double-linked directory structure).

If links were needed, they could in places be made by having a filetype
which contains the linked to filename in ascii format.

If this file is accessed by OS_File and OS_Find, the alternative file
is read.

Anyone fancy having a go?

-----
Brian N Butterworth (brian@rtf.bt.co.uk) (Netware: bsc486/brian)
British Telecom Customer Systems  |  Telephone: DDI (0273) 762106
Hyperion House                    |             S/B (0273) 206551 x 2106
96-99 Queens Road                 |  Facsimile:     (0273) 722038
Brighton BN1 3XF.                 |             or  (0273) 762071 (Netfax)

jroach@acorn.co.uk (Jonathan Roach) (02/12/91)

In article <795@utrcu1.UUCP> kortink@utrcu1.UUCP (Kortink John) writes:

>While on filing systems : did somebody besides me notice that the RAM
>filing system takes *lots* more space when using many directories and
>small files than ADFS ? Strange, when they're both filecore-based.

About FileCore:

All the 'intelligence' is in FileCore and not ADFS or RAMFS. RAMFS is
structured like an E format floppy (1x1K sector used for the free space
map), and so its parameters are rather sub-optimal with a large RAM disc.

--Jonathan