[comp.sys.acorn] It should be!

rcpieter@wsinti02.info.win.tue.nl (Tiggr) (02/19/91)

zrzm0111@helpdesk.rus.uni-stuttgart.de (MUFTI) writes:

>Is it possible to port the GNU-C-Compiler to Archimedes running RISC-OS ?

Yes.

>I've seen a port of GNU-C-Compiler for Acorn Archimedes running RICSix (unix)
>in ftp.win.tue.nl by
>martin simmons (mss10@phoenix.cambridge.ac.uk)
>and
>Tiggr (rcpieter@win.tue.nl)

You weren't supposed to look in there :-)  It's gone now anyway.

The file you've found is a VERY UNOFFICIAL non-RELEASE of the port to
RISCiX by Martin & me.  Please DO NOT redistribute it.  There will be
an official release in some time.

>What are the difficulties to port this software to RISCOS ?

Up to now I have asked two different persons to port it to RISCOS, but
without *any* result (within reasonable time).  This could indicate it
is difficult, but I don't really believe that.  Since I don't want to
spend time on a RISCOS port (hacking new versions for RISCiX takes
enough time as it is) I am no longer actively involved in getting GCC
on RISCOS.  (Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.)

Biggest problem is the non contiguous stack.  Well, actually it is not
a problem, but it involves hacking the machine independent part of
GCC, which is not a nice thing to do (since it generates a lot of work
for other people).

Tiggr