[comp.sys.acorn] C compiler bug

vanaards%t7@uk.ac.man.cs (vanaards) (02/22/91)

  I'm at the finishing stages of my finals project, and have come-across
a little problem, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the code
which uses this structure but by removing the 'padding' (int :32) the
program will cause the machine to hangup. The hangup occurs within a
particular function, but is irregular, even when tested under the same
test conditions, it hangs up at different points!

Here's the structure :

typedef struct history_structure *HIST_PTR;

typedef struct history_structure {
  long int   vfrom;
  char       *filename;
  long int   from,to;
  long int   lastpos;
  HIST_PTR   next;
  int        :32;           /* Compiler bug ? */
  HIST_PTR   previous;
} HIST_REC;

Any ideas ?

+--------------------------------+-----------------------------------------+
|   ()()TEVEN         ()         |                                         |
|  ()                ()()        |                                         |
|   ()()   ()  ()AN ()  ()       |                                         |
|   ()()     ()   ()      ()ARDT |JANET E-mail : vanaards@uk.ac.man.cs.p4  |
+--------------------------------+-----------------------------------------+

wainhous@kcl-cs.UUCP (Andy) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb22.123151.11136@cns.umist.ac.uk> vanaards%t7@uk.ac.man.cs (vanaards) writes:

>  I'm at the finishing stages of my finals project, and have come-across
>a little problem, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the code
>which uses this structure but by removing the 'padding' (int :32) the
>program will cause the machine to hangup. The hangup occurs within a
>
>Any ideas ?

No idea what causes it but I have discovered that with my (old) version of
the Norcroft C compiler, if you try to use some enumerated types within
a structure the compiler breaks and at some random time afterwards, the entire
machine crashes!!

Andy.