[comp.sys.acorn] mouse

dbh@doc.ic.ac.uk (Denis Howe) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb22.122440.1394@urz.unibas.ch> gaspar@urz.unibas.ch writes:
   If you ever tried to make very small circular movements with the
   mouse and saw how the pointer is drifting off almost randomly in
   any direction

This is as nothing compared to the way the Wimp jumps the pointer
around the screen for alerts and menus etc and doesn't restore it
afterwards which means you have to keep picking the mouse up to
reposition it (unless you have an infinite mouse mat and long arms
;-D).
--
      Denis Howe           C - C
  <dbh@doc.ic.ac.uk>      /     \

yc58@mrcu (MRC Library) (02/28/91)

On the subject of mice etc., I switched over to a Marconi Trackerball some
months ago and have never regretted it.  Much better all round - you don't
need to pay Pineapple's ridiculous price for a convertor lead either; the lead
from the mouse can be removed and put on the trackerball in about 5 minutes.
Doing this causes the left and middle buttons to switch functions, i.e. the
big centre tball button is now SELECT and the left one MENU but this could be
fixed by changing the wires round if you really wanted. I find the big button
is more logical as select so I've left it as it is.  I saw details of the
conversion froom BBC tball to Arc tball in an issue of Archive mag. - can't
remember which one but mail me and I'll look it up.  I would never want to go
back to a mouse now.

Brian

garyb@abekrd.co.uk (Gary Bartlett) (03/01/91)

In <1784@svin02.info.win.tue.nl> rcpieter@wsinfo11.info.win.tue.nl (Tiggr) writes:
>The problems with the mouse are not really caused by the mouse but by the
>mouse driver (excusez le mot).  What you ultimately want is that you if you
>slowly move your mouse, the pointer moves slowly as well (and gives great
>accuracy), while moving the mouse faster moves the mouse pointer quadratically
>(or some other nice power) faster.  This setup enables you to reach any part
>of the screen within reasonable time, while it also gives you the ability
>to accurately position the mouse pointer.

I'd have to take issue with this in favour of the original poster who mentioned
that moving the  pointer in a circle is erratic.  This is indeed  true and well
spotted - I only  noticed it when I tried it last night.  The normal use of the
mouse produces excellent response and accuracy - we could do with more hardware
cursors.  It doesn't matter what speed you move the mouse, you get a very wierd
circle.  I tried  this on my  (company)  HP  workstation  to make  sure that it
wasn't my lack of ability that was causing this - I could draw perfect circles.
It's almost as if there is software which tries to anticipate  that you want to
draw a straight line and  effectively  stops you from moving off your line, but
it appears that you can draw glancing  angles very easily which leads away from
this theory.  The problem  seems to come from 'rapid'  change of direction - as
if there was play in the axis rollers.

Well that's what I think,

Gary
Gary C. Bartlett               NET: garyb@abekrd.co.uk
Abekas Video Systems Ltd.     UUCP: ...!uunet!mcsun!ukc!pyrltd!abekrd!garyb
12 Portman Rd,   Reading,    PHONE: +44 734 585421