[comp.sys.acorn] Help on low level read/write to floppy

truemanc@p4.cs.man.ac.uk (Chris Trueman) (03/05/91)

In one of the labs on my course we have read/written to an ATARI disc
sector by sector, track by track.

What I want to do is the same on the ARC - can anyone help with the
necessary OS calls I need.

I have head you can use SWI "FileCore_DiscOp" with R0 as an operation
code and other registers set up either pointing at data blocks or
containing information - is this right??

Thanks in advance,

Chris: truemanc@uk.ac.man.cs.p4

Stewart Brodie (03/07/91)

truemanc@p4.cs.man.ac.uk (Chris Trueman) writes:

>In one of the labs on my course we have read/written to an ATARI disc
>sector by sector, track by track.

>I have head you can use SWI "FileCore_DiscOp" with R0 as an operation
>code and other registers set up either pointing at data blocks or
>containing information - is this right??

>Thanks in advance,

>Chris: truemanc@uk.ac.man.cs.p4

Might it not be a good idea to use SWI "ADFS_DiscOp"?  If you use
FileCore's version, you need to load R8 with the filing system's
filecore identifier.  All "ADFS_DiscOp" does, is to load the ADFS
private word into R8 and then call "FileCore_DiscOp".

(Of course, you could go OTT and write an Atari Filing System, with all
the appropriate fs_entry routines!)

If, however, this is only for interest and not for coursework, why not
try some of the programs I have seen for reading MS/DOS discs.  Atari
owners say that the format is the same.

Stewart Brodie
(snb90@uk.ac.soton.ecs)