[comp.sys.acorn] Other Acorn Computers

cbuckley@unix1.tcd.ie (Colm Buckley) (03/15/91)

In <4~J&2C-@warwick.ac.uk> csuaw@warwick.ac.uk (Patrick Clark) writes:

> .. perhaps there sould be some sort
> of count of the machine ownership of this group.. possibly more people have
> Arcs than anything else .. but it would be interesting to see.

I'd be interested too. If everybody who feels so inclined to do so would mail
me (cbuckley@unix1.tcd.ie - if a site doesn't know about the ie domain (shame
on you!), try cbuckley%unix1.tcd.ie@cunyvm.cuny.edu) giving details of your
machine type, peripherals and major software owned, etc, I'll try to collate
them and post the results in a month or so. I just think the results might be
interesting.

Note - Acorn machines only please. I don't want lots of Commodore Amoeba
people mailing me telling me how great their machines are - my Acorn A3000 is
quite good enough for me! (I don't know - maybe they read the group out of
spite or something....)

Colm.

+-------------------------------------+----------------------------------+
| Colm Buckley                        | "My program doesn't work."       |
| Computer Science,                   | "You forgot the semicolon."      |
| Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland  | "But..."                         |
|                                     | "Line 376. Check."               |
| cbuckley@unix1.tcd.ie               | "But..."                         |
| CBUCKLEY@vax1.tcd.ie                | "Trust me."                      |
+-------------------------------------+----------------------------------+

kvj@rhi.hi.is (Kristjan Valur Jonsson) (03/18/91)

In <210@hobby.ukc.ac.uk> has@ukc.ac.uk (H.A.Shaw) writes:

>    My *FIRST* computer (I don't count my "Science of Cambridge MK14") was a
>Jupiter ACE, a Z80 processor, 959 bytes of user program RAM and FORTH in ROM,
>I upgraded to an Atom and never looked back.

How wonderful, another Jupiter Ace owner!!!  That was my first micro too,
and it was just wonderful.  I admit though, that when the heaps of games
started to pile up for the ZX Spectrum, I had second thoughts.  But having
Forth as a language made up for it.  The manual was well written and
I read it all even though it was written in English (I was younger then.).
I am very grateful to the guys who made this contraption because it really
made me understand how primitive BASIC is.

Kristjan