[comp.sys.acorn] MemAlloc, RamDisc and the DeskTop

S_JEKUTSCH@iravcl.ira.uka.de (|S| Sebastian Jek) (03/15/91)

I have a small problem and I hope someone can solve it:
I want to install a Ramdisc automatically from within the desktop. So I load
MemAlloc and then do RAMFSSIZE 512. The memory was allocated in the expected
way but no RAMFiler_icon appears (only after I (tried to) alter the size of the
RAM Disc with the Task-Display)! It only works right when the desktop wasn't
already started (1. MemAlloc, 2. RAMFSSIZE 512, 3. desktop). Why does RiscOs
behave in this way and how can I get the icon on the icon-bar?
Please post it or mail me: S_JEKUTSCH@irav1.ira.uka.de

snb90@uk.ac.soton.ecs (Stewart Brodie) (03/15/91)

In <91.073.18:54:03@ira.uka.de> S_JEKUTSCH@iravcl.ira.uka.de (|S| Sebastian Jek) writes:

>I have a small problem and I hope someone can solve it:
>I want to install a Ramdisc automatically from within the desktop. So I load
>MemAlloc and then do RAMFSSIZE 512. The memory was allocated in the expected
>way but no RAMFiler_icon appears (only after I (tried to) alter the size of the
>RAM Disc with the Task-Display)! It only works right when the desktop wasn't
>already started (1. MemAlloc, 2. RAMFSSIZE 512, 3. desktop). Why does RiscOs
>behave in this way and how can I get the icon on the icon-bar?
>Please post it or mail me: S_JEKUTSCH@irav1.ira.uka.de

Try sending round a Message_StartFiler.  This will tell each Filer to
initialise and so I don't know if it will have any side effects (like
closing Filer windows.)  To code this, look it up in Vol.3 of the RISC
OS PRM under Wimp_SendMessage.  You have to repeatedly send round
Message_StartFiler until a zero-result is returned - then you send
Message_StartedFiler and hopefully all the icons will be in place.  (I
use this method when I have inadvertantly killed my Filers and want them
back.)

I hope this helps,

Stewart Brodie
Southampton University
(snb90@uk.ac.soton.ecs)

gilbertd@p4.cs.man.ac.uk (Dave Gilbert) (03/16/91)

In <91.073.18:54:03@ira.uka.de> S_JEKUTSCH@iravcl.ira.uka.de (|S| Sebastian Jek) writes:

>I have a small problem and I hope someone can solve it:
>I want to install a Ramdisc automatically from within the desktop. So I load
>MemAlloc and then do RAMFSSIZE 512. The memory was allocated in the expected
>way but no RAMFiler_icon appears (only after I (tried to) alter the size of the
>RAM Disc with the Task-Display)! It only works right when the desktop wasn't
>already started (1. MemAlloc, 2. RAMFSSIZE 512, 3. desktop). Why does RiscOs
>behave in this way and how can I get the icon on the icon-bar?
>Please post it or mail me: S_JEKUTSCH@irav1.ira.uka.de

Does the ram filing system become available - or is it that
the icon just doesn't appear?

The thing is that the filers will only start up when the desktop command
is given, because this calls a service call to be sent to all the modules
which says something like 'the desktop is starting up - do you want to do
anything?'.

What I would do is (I havent tried it!)

1) Memalloc

2) RAMFSSIZE 512

3) rmreinit ramfs

4) rmreinit ramfsfiler

5) send a service call to the filer pretending to be the desktop asking
if it wants to start up

You never know - it might work - the other way may be to find out
what the task manager does - although I think this may be somewhat
difficult.

Dave Gilbert

- Dave Gilbert - gilbertd@p4.cs.man.ac.uk - The MTBF of a piece of equipment  -
-                G7FHJ@GB7NWP             - is inversly proportional to its   -
------------------------------------------- importance                        -

kortink@utis96.cs.utwente.nl (John Kortink) (03/20/91)

In article <91.073.18:54:03@ira.uka.de> S_JEKUTSCH@iravcl.ira.uka.de (|S| Sebastian Jek) writes:
>I have a small problem and I hope someone can solve it:
>I want to install a Ramdisc automatically from within the desktop. So I load
>MemAlloc and then do RAMFSSIZE 512. The memory was allocated in the expected
>way but no RAMFiler_icon appears (only after I (tried to) alter the size of the
>RAM Disc with the Task-Display)! It only works right when the desktop wasn't
>already started (1. MemAlloc, 2. RAMFSSIZE 512, 3. desktop). Why does RiscOs
>behave in this way and how can I get the icon on the icon-bar?
>Please post it or mail me: S_JEKUTSCH@irav1.ira.uka.de

I think you just need to *RMREINIT the RamFSFiler. The icon will pop up.

John Kortink (kortink@cs.utwente.nl)