[comp.sys.acorn] amiga disk reader

ecc_jim@ecc.tased.oz.au (03/22/91)

Can someone please tell me where I can get an application that will read amiga
disks?

Thanks in advance.

Jim Palfreyman.

kortink@utis96.cs.utwente.nl (John Kortink) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar22.175843.248@ecc.tased.oz.au> ecc_jim@ecc.tased.oz.au
writes:
>Can someone please tell me where I can get an application that will read amiga
>disks?
>Thanks in advance.
>Jim Palfreyman.

It cannot be done. The Amiga doesn't use an off-the-shelf FDC, but accesses
discs directly via a custom chip, which does 'dirty' things like putting
extra sectors in-line with the index-hole. Which is a no-no for the Arc's
1772 FDC.

This has been discussed all over the place (mainly on BBSses) for over a
year now, by the way.

John Kortink

Student of Informatics at the University of Twente, The Netherlands
NETMAIL : kortink@cs.utwente.nl
DISCLAIMER : you know ....             "It's a one time thing
                                        It just happens
           Suzanne Vega ('Cracking')    a lot"