[comp.sys.acorn] Translator and Creator now Shareware

kortink@.cs.utwente.nl (John Kortink) (03/24/91)

Translator & Creator are now Shareware
--------------------------------------
I have decided not to release new versions of Translator (>6.36) and
Creator (>1.02) into the public domain. Instead their status will be
shareware, and there will be a registration fee of #10. This entitles
you to free new versions, when they appear.

The reasons for this change of status are as follows :

- I have invested an enormous amount of work and time in both programs
  (continually for over 2 years)
- The programs serve an (important) purpose for many people (judging
  by the amount of (e./snail) mail I receive concerning them
- Many (sometimes special) features have been added on request of users
- Translator's only 'competitor' (ChangeFSI) costs #22 ex VAT
- Creator has no competitors at all, and is nevertheless an important,
  if not indispensable tool for many people, which enables them to port
  images to other platforms

If you use one or both of these programs, then please register.

To register, send #10 (cash only) to :

John Kortink
Middelhuisstr. 17
7482 EL Haaksbergen
The Netherlands

To receive the latest versions, send a self-addressed envelope, #1 to
cover postage, and a 3.5" formatted floppy disc. (So, to register AND
receive the latest versions, please enclose #11 total).

I hope you will all register.

John Kortink

gtoal@tharr.UUCP (Graham Toal) (03/29/91)

In article <1972@tharr.UUCP> gtoal@tharr.UUCP (Graham Toal) writes:
>I'm not impressed, John.  i thought you were one of the good guys.  I think
>you should examine your motives and what you think you're going to gain from
>this more closely.

having thought about this a little more, I should apologise for the mild flame.
actually, I was thinking of !translator when i posted; the actual software which
he's removed from the PD isn't as heavily used.  I still think John should ask
himself exactly why he's in the business, but I withdraw the implication that
he'd removed a program from the PD only because it was successful and he could
get some opportunist money out of it.  that would be the case if it had been
!translator, but in fact I've never actually met anyone who uses !creator.

Graham
--
(* Posted from tharr.uucp - Public Access Unix - +44 (234) 720202 *)